Swimbaits - heads

Looking to share some insight among us here on swimbaits and jigheads.

Planning to start fishing a swimbait more next year and thinking on the little details of fishing them....started doing some testing in the pool this weekend and the endless possibilities started to seem like it would take a LONG time...so came here looking for some sharing to save us all some headaches.

Thoughts:
    How much does a round jighead (ballhead) effect the bait kick or roll?
    How much does a pointed style head (like a picasso smart mouth, buckeye or SK squadron) play into the roll and kick of the bait>
    How does a belly weighted hook play into roll and kick?
    How does a thin but tall head (like owner inshore or bladerunner) play into roll/kick?

Also thoughts on when fish prefer a lot of roll?
    A lot of tail kick?
    Minimal tail kick?

How does 30 degree vs 60 degree vs 90 degree tie play into where you use heads?

I was amazed how much a skinny dipper and little dipper roll in the water.

tried the 0 degree line tie and just could not get them to always retrieve right side up with a keitech or dipper.

THANK YOU and appreciate your insight.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I wish I could answer all your questions, but can't. You can do a search on youtube for Tactical Bassin. They do alot of underwater comparisons. Might be a good start.

I like a 90 degree line tie, 60 degree is fine, but I think I get the most action out of 90. I feel like head shape is over-rated by and large, but tend toward ball head or "mushroom" style heads mostly.

That's not quite getting at everything you asked, but I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject anyhow.

Adding your list is something that I do have a pretty strong opinion about after doing quite a lot of experimenting this past fall (and I'm sure everyone is surprised I have an opinion on something!! ): Something that I think it overlooked a TON and is a big problem with available heads is the size of the hook. Almost every available head has a fairly large hook on it. 3/0 is often the smallest you can find even in 1/8 oz heads. This is fine for bigger swimbaits, but I think it dampens the action at best on smaller ones, even the 3.8 size, and especially on the smaller ones. I've taken to using what companies market as Ned heads for my swimbait heads in a lot of cases. Those hooks are usually too big for a Ned rig (my opinion), but aren't too big for a small swimbait. 2/0 is my preferred size for a 3.8 Keitech fat or Skinny Dipper though they do OK with 3/0, 1/0 or even size 1 for the 2.8s and Little Dippers. The difference in action you get with a smaller hook is dramatic, and I almost feel like your landing rate actually goes up since the smaller hook penetrates better, doesn't gouge as big of a hole into the fish's mouth, and most importantly doesn't allow the fish to use a longer hook shank as more leverage for getting the hook out.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I’m not a pro but I’ve been experimenting and researching swim baits... I can’t say enough about the content on YouTube especially Tactical bassin on this topic. Maybe a coincidence but I’ve had the most success with the Matt Allen Swimbait Head by Dirty Jigs and the guppy head. I always have one tied on.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    I tend to use the VMC heads and VMC underspin heads on Keitech swimbaits.

6. Member
    Check out ledge head lures. The head is designed to give head wobble that you can not get out of a weight forward type head.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Check out ledge head lures. The head is designed to give head wobble that you can not get out of a weight forward type head.
    As mentioned by Drewflu33 a 5/0 hook doesn't work on a 2.8 Keitech. I tend to just use ball head I pour with smaller hooks for the little baits.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    As mentioned by Drewflu33 a 5/0 hook doesn't work on a 2.8 Keitech. I tend to just use ball head I pour with smaller hooks for the little baits.
    The micro ledge head comes in as small as a 1/0.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

9. Member
    I throw swimbaits a good bit and have a lot of different style heads that I use...I'd say that 90% of the heads I have caught me meaning I saw it and it looked good/cool/different. Having said that I feel like I've had the most success with a plain old 90 deg ball head. I don't really think the head does a ton in terms of affecting the tail kick (some maybe but not much). If I want less or more roll I change baits (less...Spark Shat, more Keitech)

10. Member
    When do you find more or less body roll more be beneficial?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

11. Member
    Just get the sharpest Trokar Boxer jig in various sizes. 1/4 will be on sale 12/25 at TW