Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Cold weather boots and gloves.

What boots do you perfer when fishing in the cold? I have a pair of Irish Setter rubber boots right now but I don't care much for walking around the boat with them. Also what's some warm gloves I can pick up that I will still be able to cast decent with.

Was going to suggest Baffin boots, but they're not likely to be any easier to walk around in though they will be a lot easier to put on/take off. Warm / easy to walk around in: pick one.

I've gone round and round on gloves. I currently have a pair of Columbia OutDry gloves I wear when I don't need dexterity (driving down the lake, pulling an ice fishing sled, etc), and a pair of Cabela's Winstopper Guidewear glomitts I wear when fishing. They're not insulated, but do an excellent job of cutting the wind and will hold a hand warmer very well. Do whatever you can to keep your hands dry.

Columbia Gloves I use: https://www.columbia.com/mens-powder...glove&start=11
    GloMitts: https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...VE/2435081.uts

I have a less-insulated pair of Columbia OutDry gloves I can manage to fish in when it's really cold, but they're not listed for sale any longer. The OutDry stuff is the DEAL for staying dry...waterproof membrane on the outside so the material doesn't soak up water making you feel wet even when you're actually dry.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 12-04-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Banned
    I don't like big bulky boots when I fish in the cold so here's a tip. Get a good pair of water proof light/medium insulated boots and a good pair of socks. I use the hand warmers you get in those packs. Once you open them they warm up, place one in between the tounge of your boot and your shin just above your ankle. I wear long johns so I place the heat pad as close to the skin as I can without touching the bare skin. I tell you right now your feet are going to sweat. The same works with you hands, place one under the close at the wrist. These points are where the blood flows, the warm pad helps the blood flow keeping your extremities warm.

4. Banned
    Thank you both for the replies.

5. Member
    I am in the camp not liking big heavy winter boots. I wear Muck Boot Scrub boots with quality socks underneath. As to gloves I wear large ski gauntlet type gloves when running the boat and then I switch to winter golf gloves for fishing. They are relatively cheap and you still retain grip and dexterity.

I wear my Red Wing work boots if it’s cold or raining. In really cold weather I put on another pair of socks.

7. Member
    Cabela’s Meindl boots but I do not think they make them anymore now that Basspro bought them. They were like $300 but were amazing and a great deal when Cabela’s had lifetime warranty. Gloves I have a heavy pair of sims that also have a liner glove I usually wear these when running, then to fish I use the Cabela’s guidewear glomitts. I fish a winter series here on the james river and these are what I am currently using. Again I bought a lot of canelas clothing because it was great quality and had a lifetime warrenty, but now that bass pro bought them idk if I will go Cabela’s again when the time comes to get new boots or gloves.
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by collins4 View Post
    What boots do you perfer when fishing in the cold? I have a pair of Irish Setter rubber boots right now but I don't care much for walking around the boat with them. Also what's some warm gloves I can pick up that I will still be able to cast decent with.
    What kind of temperatures are we talking about. Living in wisconsin I have a couple different systems I use depending on the air and water temperature.

4-8 pairs of gloves. Switch when damp. I actually don't mind Muck boots for working the trolling motor they are extremely comfortable, waterproof and easy to put on. Running the hot foot is more work than the tm.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I like these boots to fish in. Columbia Men's Dorado Litup 10 PFG Rain Boot

they are real light. I do remove the insoles that come with them and replace with a thinner pair.
    For gloves is use a cloth fingerless pair and place a hand warmer next to my wrist.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

11. Member
    I just ordered some electric socks to try. Not sure if they will make my feet sweat and then get cold. Testing them out soon and see what happens.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1029 View Post
    What kind of temperatures are we talking about. Living in wisconsin I have a couple different systems I use depending on the air and water temperature.
    Probably mid 20's.

13. Member
    For gloves I wear runners gloves when fishing with the index and thumb cut back, bring few pairs change when wet. For driving I wear heavy ski type gloves. For feet its wool socks new favorites are new RedHead Ultimate Wool Heavyweight Socks and some very ugly North face thermal ball boots.

Here are boots one type very ugly but warm and light other type slightly less ugly and look more like a real boot but heavier.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/sh...ariationId=KX7

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/sh...ariationId=KY4

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Oh yeah I bring portable heater to warm up with from time to time or if its stupid cold I run it the whole time in front of me.

15. Member
    I just wear my hunting boots, I think they're Cabelas deer stalkers or something like that. Kind of a sneaker like bottom, thinsulate and actually pretty light

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Oh yeah I bring portable heater to warm up with from time to time or if its stupid cold I run it the whole time in front of me.

Are you being serious?

17. Member
    For mid 20s I would go with 2 pair brown jersey gloves for driving. While fishing I would wear water proof clam gloves, the fingerless ones with hot packs on the back of My hands. For boots I would go with my uninsulated irish setter hiking boots. A liner sock with a light weight wool sock. When it comes to keeping your extremities warm keeping your core, neck, and head warm is extremely important. Look into a down sweater. Put it on drictly over your base layer top. Next is a fleece, loose, neck gaitor. Get you self a good wool beanie and your set. With the last three things I suggested I could fish in sneakers with no gloves down to 20.

Are you being serious?
    I will buy this, yes up here musky fishers bring me heaters, but they are so damn finicky and I don't need a 20lb tank in my boat but this one is probably robust enough for me
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

19. Member
    Are you being serious?
    1000 percent serious, best investment in cold weather stuff I have made. 1 pound tank last 2 hours or you can buy hose to attach 20 pound grill tank. 6 Amp hour battery last all day. Mostly I just use it in early am or to warm up when retying or taking snack break, or to warm up hands if the are wet and cold. When your Cold as heck and hands are stinging 5-10 minutes in front that thing while you grab a snack or retie a few baits or change them and you are warmed up and ready to go back to fishing.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I will buy this, yes up here musky fishers bring me heaters, but they are so damn finicky and I don't need a 20lb tank in my boat but this one is probably robust enough for me
    Yeah i had a little buddy heater but it could not handle any wind or it would blow out, thats when you need it most. The Ryobi with one pound tanks start to freeze up after 15-20 minutes of steady use and you can fell the heater not putting out as much heat, I shut off for 10 minutes or till I am cold again and relite it and its back to normal. It's 18000 BTU's if memory serves me correct. If you want to run it most the day with small tanks you would probably be safe with 2-3 tanks and 1-2 batteries. I bought the hose to try the bigger tank to see if it wont freeze up that way if I want to run it non stop in mid winter I can. It does not blow out in the wind but heat does blow away quickly in wind I am going to try and rig something to the legs to aim it up at 45 degrees to aim right at my hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast