Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I will buy this, yes up here musky fishers bring me heaters, but they are so damn finicky and I don't need a 20lb tank in my boat but this one is probably robust enough for me
    Your from North Dakota, that's for ice fishing

2. Member
    I really like the Columbia Fairbanks Omni Heat boots. Super lightweight and comfortable

Everyone to their own preferences. But I want a boot that I can KICK OFF if I go into the drink. Ever try to swim in a pair of boots? In cold water? I have. Almost drowned in the process.

Just food for thought ...................

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Everyone to their own preferences. But I want a boot that I can KICK OFF if I go into the drink. Ever try to swim in a pair of boots? In cold water? I have. Almost drowned in the process.

Just food for thought ...................
    More food for thought. Cold water can kill, even 50* in 10-15 minutes. Do not remove any clothes including boots the water that gets in will warm up compared to the water in the lake. Instead wear your life jacket also there is clothing that floats. Clam ice armor/ striker ice, Eskimo snow suits all have float assist bibs and surefloat coats. Water proof too. My team partner and I wear our ice suits with muck boots when it's sub 50* and windy and raining we are dry for the entire tournament and warm. Muck boots probably float with the neoprene in them as well. And yeah ND we get after it 12 months a year in our local power plant cooling lake.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

More food for thought. Cold water can kill, even 50* in 10-15 minutes. Do not remove any clothes including boots the water that gets in will warm up compared to the water in the lake.
    And just how long will it take for that lake water to "warm up" ?

Unless you've been in the water when it is <45* you don't realize just how little time you have to act.

And just how long will it take for that lake water to "warm up" ?

Unless you've been in the water when it is <45* you don't realize just how little time you have to act.
    The water inside your boots / clothes will be warmer than the lake water by a measurable amount = gives you more time. Go out side and dip your bare right foot in cold water then put you left foot in the water with your boot on= you will be able to leave your wet foot in the boot in the water indefinitely and your bare foot for seconds total.

The water inside your boots / clothes will be warmer than the lake water by a measurable amount = gives you more time. Go out side and dip your bare right foot in cold water then put you left foot in the water with your boot on= you will be able to leave your wet foot in the boot in the water indefinitely and your bare foot for seconds total.
    Once again ...... Unless you've actually been there, you have no idea what this is all about.

Once again ...... Unless you've actually been there, you have no idea what this is all about.
    So you get back on the boat without you boots and you have a mile or more to run back to the truck, the metal hotfoot and wind is going to wreck your feet! Or you get separated from the boat and get to shore. Walking through the woods to the closest home will tear your feet up. It is proven to keep your clothes on including boots. Part of hypothermia make you feel blistering hot and often times people who die are found naked as their minds are lying to them. As far as swimming goes rather than a forward and backwards kicking you should go with the wide stance to narrow stance as ankle movements are not nearly as important. Yes clothes are heavy when wet and your trying to climb on to the boat, but once back on the boat if you only have the option of putting wet clothes on or nothing you should put the wet stuff back on to break the wind. But wet clothes in the water barely sink so floating is not very impacted. There are studies that find a 29-60% reduction in swimming ability but a far less impact on floating about 5-15% reduction in floating alone.
    the human body floats on average 0.02% trapped air in boots and clothing helps. Do not say unless I have been there I do not know, I have pulled people from the water on frozen lakes, if they kicked there footwear off they would have lost there feet for sure on the way to safety. I am sorry to the OP that this has gotten off track but to any one reading this at this point the must know the truth and the number one safety issue is wear a life jacket!

Like I said ...... Have you actually been there?

End of discussion for me. I know what works. Regardless of any info you may read. Been there ..... done that.

Stay on land in texas

11. Member
    Justin

12. Member
    I tried the hand warmers under wrists - secured with wide wrist bands last outing and was happy w results. Allowed me to use fingerless gloves without much discomfort - was around 35 degrees with light wind.

13. Member
    For boots - just work boots. Slip on (cowboy) style, waterproof, with thicker socks.
    For gloves - brown jersey gloves, with black exam type gloves over them. One size larger than the jersey gloves. If the sun is out, those black exam gloves get warmer. Have extras, when you need too swap out.
    Hot hands packets in gloves and boots when it's really cold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12