Thread: Carpet Question

Carpet Question

Thinking about new carpet in my 198 Champion. Can you add padding to the front deck if it didn't previously have padding? If so...what is used to do this on a boat?

2. Member
    Yes it can be added to any boat front deck. Make sure to leave roughly 2 inches between the outside edge of carpet and the outside edge of the padding so there is room to bring the carpet off the pad down to the deck and under the carpet trim. There are a bunch of pads you can use. I always use the ranger front deck padding. It’s right around 100 bucks and can be bought from a ranger dealer or straight from ranger. I’m sure other will be along to tell you other places to getting padding from. Just make sure it’s a closed cell foam.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

3. Member
    Google pro tech mat. With the champion you can get away with the padding staying 1” away from the side of the deck, It has the pop rivet aluminum trim. Take the trim off, it will go over the carpet when it goes back on. Champions are a a piece of cake, get 8.5 wide carpet, best bang for the buck with the least amount of waist. 3 yards will do the entire front deck, lids and all, with some left over to do some lids on the back end.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

4. Member
    If you go with pro-tech Matting it is recommend that you use a adhesive from bird song adhesive, what I did in regard to the edging is I took razor blades and very carefully cut a 45 degree angle all the way around the edge of Matt after gluing it down to give a nice transition for the edge, then once you get that cleaned up and removed lay your carpet, it will look nice and clean.

Thanks guys

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 Champ View Post
    If you go with pro-tech Matting it is recommend that you use a adhesive from bird song adhesive, what I did in regard to the edging is I took razor blades and very carefully cut a 45 degree angle all the way around the edge of Matt after gluing it down to give a nice transition for the edge, then once you get that cleaned up and removed lay your carpet, it will look nice and clean.

Why bird song for pro-tech versus something liek weldwoood?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    To be honest I’m not sure, I do not recall, I do know the adhesive is a contact cement, once you put it on and wait 15 minutes and apply you better make sure it’s where you want it, there is no second chance. Call them at bird song adhesive and they will tell you if interested, I believe they are in Tennessee.
    https://www.birdsongadhesives.com/

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post

I've used the weldwood that is made to glue rubber padding down, it works just as well as birdsong. The glue has to be able to dry under the rubber, air can't get under it. It doesn't spray as nice as birdsong, it's comes out like a spider web and goes everywhere. It works..
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    I've used the weldwood that is made to glue rubber padding down, it works just as well as birdsong. The glue has to be able to dry under the rubber, air can't get under it. It doesn't spray as nice as birdsong, it's comes out like a spider web and goes everywhere. It works..
    I've used the weldwood before when making some countertops with formica. Familiar with the stick on contact. I plan on laying carpet out, weighing it down so it doesn't move and do a small piece at a time. I plan on rolling it on, not spraying.

10. Member
    If you ave an air compressor get a cheap one quart gun from harbor freight, you will spend just as much money on rollers, and the time you save is well worth the $15.00 spray gun.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR