Spinnerbait wire length.

I’m looking at different spinnerbait makers and I’ve noticed the wire length differ from each maker. The wire from head to R bend and the wire that hold the blades differ in length. What’s the purpose or advantages of wire being shorter or longer in length? Does one give better vibration over the other? I’m reading that thinner wire gives more vibration over thicker wire. I’d like to start making some spinnerbaits for myself, but I’m trying to learn about vibration and wire length. Thank you for your help.

...As you most likely will get both sides of the coin on this one. Me? with the exception of my lil 3/16 river spinner (.031) I use .040 SS wire and cut down the length between R bend and head because I like a more compact short arm spinnerbait. Let the debate begin...

I forgot to ask are you pouring your own or going the route of buying pre poured heads? That would make a difference wether or not you can shorten the length between R bend and lead head.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

3. Member
    For me the amount of wire coming out of the head depends a lot on the wire diameter. Thin wire vibrates more but it is also more fragile, so making the wire shorter coming out of the head will make it a little stronger. One of my better baits is a 1/2oz head on .031" diameter wire, the length of the wire coming out of the head is 1.25" and the blade arm is 1.75" and I use a 3.5 and #4 willows. The shorter length of the blade arm is because of the small blades, I'm using a 5/0 VMC 7250 black nickel hook and I want the blade on the swivel to be even with the end of the hook and not extend past it. The smaller blades let me reel the bait at a faster pace without it rolling over and the more compact profile practically eliminate short strikers so I don't need a trailer hook. That is a big issue at times especially with smallmouth, they will often slap at the blades. So to minimize that I made a bait that is more compact and can be fished faster and because the hook and blades are so close when they do short strike they often get the hook anyway. I also make a 1/2oz bait with .040 wire with 1.5" of wire coming out of the head and a 2.25" blade arm length. That bait is used with a #3 Colorado on the clevis and a #6 Indiana on the swivel, I use it in dirty water around deadfalls with limbs on them. So I use the heavier wire as the bait is needed to be more heavy duty and the blades are large enough to get good vibration even on the larger wire. Since it is larger wire and the bait will be pulled over limbs I make the length of the wire coming out of the head a bit longer as the extra length will help the bait deflect. The blade arm is longer as well as I'm not worried about short strikers here as fish in these spot tend to really get the bait. So the longer blade arm helps deflect the bait off of limbs and it helps keep the bait a little more snag resistant. I could probably go on about wire length as it relates to blade sizes but there isn't a need to, just start making some baits using different wire length and blade combos and you'll get a better understand of how the bait reacts to each change.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. That really helps me to get started. I’m trying to decide if I want to pour my own or order from Pro Lures. It seems they will make to your specifications. You just have to order a minimum of twenty five.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html