Thread: NRX 852S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Thanks fellas , how’s the casting ability ? Is the tip soft enough to whip a Ned or 4-6 worm on a 1/16 neko out there ?
    I've owned the NRX 852s and GLX 852s. The tip on these rods (and overall action) is EXTRA FAST. These rods do not have a soft tip. They actually do not cast all that far, compared to other high end spinning rods. If you want max casting distance, go up to the NRX 872S spinning rod. Same action & sensitive, but the extra few inches will give you longer casts.

These rods are not great distance casters, BUT they are very very sensitive. I found that the 852S was fantastic at anything bottom contact. Such as shakey head/ned/finesse jig/neko.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Thanks fellas , how’s the casting ability ? Is the tip soft enough to whip a Ned or 4-6 worm on a 1/16 neko out there ?
    For me, I find throwing a 1/16oz. Ned a problem. Just not getting the distance. 1/8oz is ok.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    I've owned the NRX 852s and GLX 852s. The tip on these rods (and overall action) is EXTRA FAST. These rods do not have a soft tip. They actually do not cast all that far, compared to other high end spinning rods. If you want max casting distance, go up to the NRX 872S spinning rod. Same action & sensitive, but the extra few inches will give you longer casts.

These rods are not great distance casters, BUT they are very very sensitive. I found that the 852S was fantastic at anything bottom contact. Such as shakey head/ned/finesse jig/neko.

I found the same thing. I really didnt care for the 852 so i now have 2 872’s. Its only 2” but i swear it feels like the whole extra 2” is tip. Loads up a lot better on the cast and you can pick up into fish without taking the bait away from them
    They aint got hands, set the hook

4. Member
    I think if I was purchasing today, the 872 would be my deal.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    Received the 852 today , the tip is perfect not as stiff as I was expecting I would say it’s exactly what I wanted. It has a better tip than the 7’ medium expride no doubt as I compare them side by side. Very happy with the purchase.

6. Member
    super! what type of line and reel are you thinking for it
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

7. Member
    I have it paired with a Shimano exsence 3000 mhg , 8 lb braid and 6-8 lb tatsu leader. Feels like a winner

I use a 852c "same blank" as a tube rod for smallmouth, best tube rod I have ever used.

For ned I would use a NRX 901s and a Megabass Flyssa.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I bought my first nrx on black friday, an 872. Compared to the 852, it just had a better tip on it. Was honestly surprised the 852 was as stiff as it was. I can't think of much the 872 couldn't do.
    I have both the 852S and 872S. The 852S will not be good with most NED rigs but it does make a super special drop shot rod for 3/8 oz weights. The 872S is a much better rod overall for more techniques including ned rigs.

10. Member
    Tube amd wacky senko rod. Not enough tip deflection for me on lighter techniques.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

11. Member
    Yup I love it for neko , wacky , small swim baits shaky etc .. sweet rod !

12. Member
    Man.... my opinion is different from others on this string. I think the 852S is the best spinning rod I've used. It's perfect shakey heads and wacky senkos. I think it may be a little much for ned rigs. The 872 is also a great rod.... for me it's primarily a senko rod.

One of my favorite spinning rods. I believe it is only rated for 3/8 but I feel like it has plenty of tip and backbone to handle 1/2 heads no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Man.... my opinion is different from others on this string. I think the 852S is the best spinning rod I've used. It's perfect shakey heads and wacky senkos. I think it may be a little much for ned rigs. The 872 is also a great rod.... for me it's primarily a senko rod.
    I agree that the 852 is a little too much rod for 1/8 or less Ned fishing. My opinion is the 852 is more like a 3 weight than 2. But I do like it for shaky heads in the 3/16 to 5/16 range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12