Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Cost aside, the ability to share a map card is an easy function to program. The units already can share data and the code for sharing map card date exists in the HB library. This is simply a feature differentiator between the top level product and the next level down.
    What is the HB library?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Member
    Cost aside, the ability to share a map card is an easy function to program. The units already can share data and the code for sharing map card date exists in the HB library. This is simply a feature differentiator between the top level product and the next level down.
    Perhaps, but I wonder if the Helix has the processing power to handle the function?

It's not reasonable to expect the less expensive platform to have all the functons as the more expensive platform. Decide what features are important and buy the platform that provides that.

Back in my computer maintenance days, we had a disk drive that you could do a costly upgrade to double the capacity of the drive. The upgrade involved moving a jumper and reformatting the drive. If the customer was looking over your shoulder as you did the upgrade, it was good to be prepared to explain how they were paying for the "functionality" .... not the hardware .... or some other creative explanation...... Point is, vendors alway pick and choose what functionality they put in which product and how difficult or easy it is to do that is not necessarily part of the equation.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

4. Member
    That was a fairly normal occurrence in the late 60's early 70's! We had a guy doing his own upgrades without the company's knowledge! Till he got caught. I never saw that situation with newer stuff though. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    What is the HB library?
    Likely referring to a storage library where HB stores all their Systems and Programs by unit, firmware version, etc.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    What is the HB library?
    Referring to the code library where developers store programming. While there would most likely be adjustments needed to function with the Helix, the code exists for the Solix. I have worked in software companies and often the code for higher functioning versions is the same as for lesser versions. There are switches, changes in the code, set to disable some of the higher functions.

7. Member
    Doug, I think that platform was purchased through merger. The op systems are not likely the same as Helix.

Why do people complain about this? Do you not do any research before you spend your thousands? This hasn’t been a surprise for a few years....

And yes the onyx/solix line was a result of an acquisition. The code is quite different. It’s a different OS not just a high function and low function. It’s more like Apple IOS versus Windows.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Doug, I think that platform was purchased through merger. The op systems are not likely the same as Helix.
    Thanks for the detail Bob. Did not know that.

Thanks for the detail Bob. Did not know that.
    The ION and ONIX are a result of Johnson Outdoors purchasing GeoNav.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Why do people complain about this? Do you not do any research before you spend your thousands? This hasn’t been a surprise for a few years....

And yes the onyx/solix line was a result of an acquisition. The code is quite different. It’s a different OS not just a high function and low function. It’s more like Apple IOS versus Windows.
    garmin and Lowrance both do it.... in similar priced or cheaper units. This is doing the research.... it’s also not completely common sense especially those who are just getting into the industry of expensive electronics. Sorry we don’t know everything like you. I returned the units and went with something else. This forums full of jackasses

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    garmin and Lowrance both do it.... in similar priced or cheaper units. This is doing the research.... it’s also not completely common sense especially those who are just getting into the industry of expensive electronics. Sorry we don’t know everything like you. I returned the units and went with something else. This forums full of jackasses
    At least we will be loosing one of them.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    At least we will be loosing one of them.
    Except he didn't actually say he was leaving.

14. Member
    Whine, whine, whine. You spend $$$$$ on electronics and then complain about spending a little more for mapping, lol. Should they share, yes. Do they share, no. Get over it!

damn you guys are harsh.

16. Member
    My feeling is he shouldn't come in with guns ablazin' without doing his research, ignore the info/advice given by people who have more experience and have done the research (or who have learned by their mistakes), then insult those very people who tried to help. Should expect more than "harsh" if you do.
    Last edited by granite; 12-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    My feeling is he shouldn't come in with guns ablazin' without doing his research, ignore the info/advice given by people who have more experience and have done the research (or who have learned by their mistakes), then insult those very people who tried to help. Should expect more than "harsh" if you do.
    Guns blazing are aimed at Hbird, no forum people. I dont know what the heck you are reading, but nowhere did i "ignore" someones advice or info. My initial forum question was just trying to confirm what I read somewhere else. You know... its also hard to find articles on the internet that are new and recent.

For example, I might read an article from 2017 that says the units cannot share mapping cards, but an update that came out mid 2018 made it so the units can. (Garmin, for Example did this)
    Its constantly changing, and there are soo many options. I'll know from now on if you ask a simple question, you'll need to be aware of all the fan boys calling you stupid for not knowing.

18. Member
    I think the Jackass comment may have had something to do with it. Don't you? Bob

19. Member
    So he returned 2 $1,700 units that he got for $1,000 each and is not happy about having to spend a couple of hundred dollars on 2 map cards.
    Yep, makes perfect sense to me.

20. Member
    From the HB website.
    Today.
    Total time invested in research: approximately 12 seconds.

What information shares when I network my Humminbird units together?

When networked together via Ethernet, HELIX and HELIX models will share:

Waypoints

Transducer information (sonar and temperature)*

GPS Signal (not mapping)

i-Pilot Link information and control

Bluetooth Talon Control

360 Imaging

MEGA 360 Imaging

Humminbird CHIRP radar

NMEA 2000 network information

​Please note: Only HELIX G2N and G3N models will be able to share MEGA Side Imaging(+) and MEGA Down Imaging(+) views. Please see below for a link to more information about transducer compatibility between networked fish finders

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast