Question 2000 Triton TR-22 problem getting on pad

I’ve got a Tr-22 with Mercury 225 Efi .Have problem with hole shot. It has the original prop which is a trophy 4 blade 25p. On hole shot it hangs the nose up for and extended time then eventually slams the nose down. With the current prop I have to have the whale tail installed to get out of the hole. Without whale tail it blows out. I have adjusted the jack plate every where from 4” below pad up till it loses lift. No big improvements with adjustments. I’ve always felt this was not the correct prop for this set up but have just nursed it along. On pad running WOT I’m only turning 5400 rpm with top speed being 62-67 depending on weather. Hoping some of you Gurus might have an idea of what prop I need to look at. Time to quit nursing it. Thanks

2. Member
    Can you borrow or test to buy a 23p four blade or a 24p Tempest Plus . Those should get the rpm's up and the holeshot quicker. It would also give you more data to make a better decision.

3. Banned
    First thing get the motor checked out and make sure your getting 100%. WOT trimmed out you should be turning a 25p faster then 5400. Thinking something is off for a boat to have a 5 mph swing because of the weather load yes weather no. Hot weather will lose a mph or two not 5.

What size plugs do you have in the prop vents?

4. Member
    When you take off do the rpm's go over 4000 before the prop grabs then the nose drops down? If it blows out on take off and has holes drilled for PVS plugs put solid plugs in all the holes and try it again. If it still blows out you probably need a cav ring installed on the prop to cut down the exhaust gases at take off. I have a TR 21 and run a 225 efi and don't have any problems turning a 27" prop on take off so you should be able to turn the 25" prop if the motor is running at 100%.

Are you trimming the motor all the way down for taking off?

6. Member
    I have a 21 Triton with a 225 Opti. and have tried several 3 and 4 bladed props. I have a 23,24,and 25" Tempest props. I get a good hole shot and can turn just over 5,500 with the 24", with 2 vent plugs removed. I'd recommend a 23" for a 22' like yours. btw, a 25" 4 blade is equal to a 26" 3 blade. Too much prop for a boat that big with a 225, IMO

7. Banned
    I have a TR-22 with a Rude 225 spinning a Fury 4 26P prop it'll get right up, lay over and haul a$$ licky split. All prop PVS plugs removed...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by knozzleman View Post
    I’ve got a Tr-22 with Mercury 225 Efi .Have problem with hole shot. It has the original prop which is a trophy 4 blade 25p. On hole shot it hangs the nose up for and extended time then eventually slams the nose down. With the current prop I have to have the whale tail installed to get out of the hole. Without whale tail it blows out. I have adjusted the jack plate every where from 4” below pad up till it loses lift. No big improvements with adjustments. I’ve always felt this was not the correct prop for this set up but have just nursed it along. On pad running WOT I’m only turning 5400 rpm with top speed being 62-67 depending on weather. Hoping some of you Gurus might have an idea of what prop I need to look at. Time to quit nursing it. Thanks
    First get rid of the trophy. Go to a 24 Tempest plus with only one large hole pvs plug. Then have the idle relief ports check for restrictions, EFI motors do not have the low end grunt that the optimax have so hole shot is not near as good. Restricted idle reliefs are a real problem for efi motors as they will kill the bottom end torque
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Heck I have 8 pvc holes all open myself, seems the more the merrier
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Heck I have 8 pvc holes all open myself, seems the more the merrier
    Same here all mine are open as well and it jumps out of the hole....
    Attached Images Attached Images