Towing with Trick Step Trailer question

There was a thread where guys were suggesting to get a longer hitch for the receiver so the trick step doesn’t bind with the truck when turning tightly. i cant seem to find that thread.

Is everyone with The Trick Step having to do this? If so what is the suggested extension?

thanks

2. Member
    I have a easy steps on my PHX21 and I had to buy a longer hitch insert. I think it was 4 " longer. I can confirm by this friday when I pick up my bought from service.

3. Member
    I have one you would have to have to cut the truck a ridiculous amount to hit it I guess if you’re not very good at backing you could get longer hitch insert

4. Member
    I had to buy a longer one and I am good at backing. There is just one spot if you have to cut it hard backing on the passenger side that can get into the bumper. I did it last week. Fortunately I have not replaced that part of my bumper yet, so I will be doing that and use the longer hitch.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

5. Member
    mine is fine no problem and no extension.... now when I get going over 70mph on hwy the long bar gets to rocking pretty good.... but I really love the trick steps

6. Member
    Got my extended ball mount thru etrailer. Give them a call. They’re really helpful gettin u what u need. They were good to deal with and had my extended ball mount to me in 2 days. They’re number is on their website.

7. Member
    Hey JC. Sent you a PM re the easy step.

8. Member
    I have a new 20 PHX. I miss not having that access like I did on the Legend since I fish a lot by myself. My primary use of the trick step would be launching and retrieving at the ramp. I am usually by myself and would back in until floats off a little and then get in the boat go to the front and go down the step down two steps to be able to reach under and unhook the boat. Then use the motor to back off the trailer the rest of the way. In your experience will the trick step work for this? I looked at the trick step option from Phoenix on another boat and it looked like it would still be hard to reach the winch hook to release the way it is positioned so close to the boat.

9. Member
    I am also interested if the swing away tongue can still fold at lease 90 degrees. It looks like the tongue goes just above the bottom step.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    I am also interested if the swing away tongue can still fold at lease 90 degrees. It looks like the tongue goes just above the bottom step.
    It will but will be in front of your step. Switch sides the bolt is on so it swings toward tongue jack.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5by3 View Post
    It will but will be in front of your step. Switch sides the bolt is on so it swings toward tongue jack.
    What he said.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

12. Member
    Indeed works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    What he said.

13. Member
    I purchased a longer hitch receiver by Curt. Curt 45260 off of Amazon for about $20. Works great. I have a Tundra, and I did't "need" the longer hitch; however, I'd rather have the insurance of the longer hitch knowing it does come close without it.

Quote Originally Posted by RappBass View Post
    There was a thread where guys were suggesting to get a longer hitch for the receiver so the trick step doesn’t bind with the truck when turning tightly. i cant seem to find that thread.

Is everyone with The Trick Step having to do this? If so what is the suggested extension?

thanks

14. Member
    Trick step says the step will fit even with the larger optional trailer step on the trailer. Dont even need to switch the swing away.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Trick step says the step will fit even with the larger optional trailer step on the trailer. Dont even need to switch the swing away.
    Trickstep doesn't say that. Yes you can install it with the Large Bow Step, no problem there at all. If you need to use your swing tongue, swap the pin and the bolt and let your tongue swing to the port side, very easy and done now 100's of times with no issue. Launching and loading never got easier than with a Trick Step, not all ramps but most in general, just put about a foot of slack in your winch strap, back up until the boat floats, pull forward about a foot, you can reach the first step with out getting your feet wet, undo your strap, walk up into the boat and back off. This is a great benefit for guys that fish buy them selves, no other step makes this part of fishing as easy or convenient as Trick Step does. Thanks guys for the compliments, we take a lot of pride in the steps were making and enjoy hearing the positive thought's.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    I see your in Indy, were just out here in Brownsburg if you like to drop by, you'd be welcome to do so.

I have one and have to make a almost 90 degree turn to get out of my garage . Gets close but you have to really try to get it to hit. Longer would help a little. Tahoe/ suburban I think are the worst. I don’t know how many he’s done but Mark has modified some
    to be able to remove the bottom step while towing
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    mine is fine no problem and no extension.... now when I get going over 70mph on hwy the long bar gets to rocking pretty good.... but I really love the trick steps
    Was curios anyone trailering long distances ever take the bar off till they get where they are going?

19. Member
    I also tow with a Tundra with shell. I will probably go ahead and get the longer one just as a precaution. Got to use the trick step for the first time the other day on a friends boat and I have to say that’s going to be a great addition on my 921 Elite when it comes in.

20. Member
    The first day that I put mine on, I got into the passenger side of the bumper. $1200 dollars later, I have an extended hitch.