Considering getting into Rod Building

So now that it’s winter I’ve noticed I’m itching for an indoor hobby when I can’t get out to go ice fishing. I’m considering starting to build rods just for fun and thought about getting the turn key ice rod kit from mud hole since if they come out like crap I’m not messing with an expensive blank. But after reading up on it, it seems that the softer the rod is the harder it can be to wrap.

would the ice rod turn key kit be a good for beginners or should I look into something a little more stout to work on? I’m starting from literally nothing so this just seemed like a good inexpensive way to start tinkering.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    Softer blanks, thinner sections (tips of L/ML blanks) are more difficult to wrap especially if your thread tensioner is finicky (most are). Anything MH/H is easy.

I'd suggest stripping an old rod and practicing wrapping guides for a bit, once you get the hang of it you should be fine with an ice blank. Make sure you prep/file the guide feet really well, it'll make a big difference and be less difficult to wrap.

Ditto to what willwork4fish said. Also, Get Bit Outdoors sells some nice starter kits.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I'm currently building my first rod. Actually, I do more practicing than working on it. I have an old rod I practice will, like said above. Practice, practice. Lots of great videos on Youtube.

Tom

5. Member
    Some great videos on rod building on Getbitoutdoors. Also some good starter kits as mentioned.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

welcome to the hobby, get ready to fix all your fishing friends broken stuff, and pretty soon every rod you own will be made by you, don't worry its not a bad thing, enjoy and don't sweat the little stuff.

I thought it would be easiest to start on an ice rod as well. I was wrong. I echo what was said above, do some practicing on an old blank first. After that, build an open water rod. Ice rod blanks, even heavier duty ones, are so thin and guides have to be placed so close together (relative to an open water rod) that they end up being much more challenging than an open water build. As willwork mentions, lighter powered blanks compound that issue, and echoing his reference to softer tipped rods being more difficult, fiberglass ends up being more challenging than graphite (carbon as it's so often called in ice fishing). You also have to arbor the hell out of any reel seats you put on, though a lot of them admittedly don't have reel seats which can make them a little simpler.

Check out BassKhang.com when you do get to trying ice rods. Blanks are excellent, and extremely fairly priced. The perch carbon is a great do-it-all blank, and not too light for walleye fishing either.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Awesome thank you guys for your input, it’s definitely appreciated and I’ll probably just start with a CRB turn key kit so if I screw up it’s not a lot of money wasted.

DrewFlu33 - as always youre a wealth of knowledge. I’ll take a look into BassKhang. In fact a couple weeks ago I found a post on Ice Shanty that you made about those rods a few years ago when I was looking into ice rod blanks haha
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN away

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN away
    Lol this is what I tell people who want to get into rod building. I rarely fish anymore since I decided to build rods full time. On top of that, I'm constanly making huge orders for builds or to keep components or blanks in stock.

its quite addicting.
    I started out just wanting to do a few for myself. then I ordered 7 blanks and components 2 weeks before a big tourney and had to get them done quick.
    now I do a ton of repairs for some people as well as now im looking at rods I want for myself. I enjoy it and am looking forward to getting some more done for myself.
    the great thing is being able to do what YOU want in a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    Lol this is what I tell people who want to get into rod building. I rarely fish anymore since I decided to build rods full time. On top of that, I'm constanly making huge orders for builds or to keep components or blanks in stock.
    I don't do it full time but it keeps me busier than I want at time. My 12 year old daughter has started her first build. She has helped in the past but is going to do it on her own. Which I think is pretty cool.