521 c or L with 250 pro XS vs 250 4 stroke?

Looking at used 521 C or 521 L and I really wanted the 4 stroke but the boats Im finding in the preferred colors are 2 strokes. Anyone coming from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke that prefer one over the other.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Take this for 2 cents worth of reporting. In the last couple of years of production, there were/have been a number of reports that the 2 strokes were depowered. Other than that, nothing hugely detrimental for a decade or so. With the introduction of the 4 stroke, most who have it like the increase in power over the last couple of years’ 2-strokes, and folks who don’t like to add oil certainly like that feature. Prior to 2018, again according to reports, the 2-strokes had plenty of power and were a very popular engine. If you’re more interested in other features than 1-2 mph, you might be very happy with a 2017 or 2018 model 2-stroke, especially if you’re getting a very good price. [Note: with any outboard bass boat, my philosophy is to hope for the average speed of those running a similar rig, not the high end. Then if you get a particularly good one, fantastic.]
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Planning on keeping it? 2 stroke resale value might be something to consider.
    2B576211

4. Member
    Had a 2015 521C with a 250 XS that I ordered and ran for the past few years. Boat was great but my only complaint was that it didn't have much lift at WOT. Ordered a 521L with a Mercury 250 4S earlier this year and broke it in this past June. Motor is fantastic! Much more lift on this 521 verses my C model. Also like many of the cosmetic changes to the L model as well.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    Some really good deals to be found on 2 stroke Pro XS's. Had a tough time selling mine as well as other people. Listed it in March and sold it in November. Had warranty left on it and the boat was loaded.
    I am having a tough time finding a Pro XS 4 stroke with low hours loaded out with the stuff that I want for the price I want to spend. I'm sure it's out there but I haven't found it yet.
    Joey Aderhold

6. Member
    I bought a leftover 2018 2 Stroke on a 520L and at first was concerned about the power it would produce but it doesn’t perform bad. Not amazing but not bad and the boat rides amazing so I’m happy with my decision. I did however get 7 year Platinum war so I have some insurance there. My plan is to possibly upgrade at the 6 year mark as I love the boat so I don’t see any need to change that part of the rig.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

7. Member
    Im not a guy that puts a lot of hrs on a outboard nor am I a speed demon. Prob takes me 6 yrs to put 100 hrs on one so Im really not concerned about where and tear. Resale would be nice but I usually keep my boats for 10yrs or more and im not willing to pay a premium just for a 4 stroke so I guess Ill just find the one that suits me best. If it has a 4 stroke great if not oh well

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Take this for 2 cents worth of reporting. In the last couple of years of production, there were/have been a number of reports that the 2 strokes were depowered. Other than that, nothing hugely detrimental for a decade or so. With the introduction of the 4 stroke, most who have it like the increase in power over the last couple of years’ 2-strokes, and folks who don’t like to add oil certainly like that feature. Prior to 2018, again according to reports, the 2-strokes had plenty of power and were a very popular engine. If you’re more interested in other features than 1-2 mph, you might be very happy with a 2017 or 2018 model 2-stroke, especially if you’re getting a very good price. [Note: with any outboard bass boat, my philosophy is to hope for the average speed of those running a similar rig, not the high end. Then if you get a particularly good one, fantastic.]
    I concur and have heard this suggested before.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

I have a 200hp Evinrude G2 and it has tons of power, uses very little oil and is lighter than a 4 stroke. I have no complaints at all.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

10. Member
    I just saw a 19 520L new with the Merc 4 stroke at Memphis Marine for 59k. That’s a deal in my opinion.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    I just saw a 19 520L new with the Merc 4 stroke at Memphis Marine for 59k. That’s a deal in my opinion.
    They had a black and blue one a couple of weeks ago for the same price and sold it. I did the math on it and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Would cost about $10k to rig it up with power poles, better graphs, Ultrex, and hydraulic jack plate. The unknown was extended warranty. As soon as you title it, it's a used 1yr old boat. Other than than the boat is a good deal. Get a used one for several thousand less and not take the initial hit on a new 2019 boat.
    Joey Aderhold

12. Member
    Al just listed a 2018 520L with a ProXS 2 stroke for 59,900 that has 3 hours on the motor. That's also a deal if you wanted to keep it for a while.
    Joey Aderhold

13. Member
    Found a couple boats same color 1st is a 2018 521L with 250 pro xs 2 stroke used and 2nd is a new 2019 521C with 250 pro xs 4 stroke. Both are rigged out similar. Used one is 8k less. Which one would you pick

14. Member
    Personally I had a little difficulty in selling the 2 stroke on a 2015 so you may have similar issue if you decide to sell it. I would buy the 4 stroke if I were you.
    I am looking for the right deal on a 4 stroke and won't settle.
    Joey Aderhold

15. Member
    The 18 L with a 2 stroke should be more than 8K less IMO. I would opt for the 4 stroke. Any warranty difference?

16. Member
    Havent checked the warranty difference but the used 2 stroke has 5 yrs off coverage left. I assume the 4 stroke has similar. The used 18 521L boat does have a hyd jackplate and 225 hrs and is priced at 64k. The new 19 521C is at 71k.

2019 520L brand new leftover $59,995
    Last edited by Boatwarehouse; 09-25-2023 at 12:12 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatwarehouse View Post
    2019 520L brand new leftover $59,995

https://www.memphisboats.com/default...ail&id=6109069

I need this.
    Joey Aderhold

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    I bought a leftover 2018 2 Stroke on a 520L and at first was concerned about the power it would produce but it doesn’t perform bad. Not amazing but not bad and the boat rides amazing so I’m happy with my decision. I did however get 7 year Platinum war so I have some insurance there. My plan is to possibly upgrade at the 6 year mark as I love the boat so I don’t see any need to change that part of the rig.
    I have a 520L with a 2S Mercury. My brother has a 2019 520L with a 4S Mercury. Both have the exact same setup and equipment. We both fish together at times and take each other's boat at times. Contrary to what many believe, there is a performance difference but it is not a lot, maybe 1-2 mph. The acceleration is quicker on the 4S, but again, not by a whole lot. The biggest difference to me is not having to buy oil for a 4S and that awesome sound. I think it looks better as well. By myself with empty livewells I can hit 72 in the winter and 71 in the summer. In my brother's boat by myself I can hit 73 pretty much all the time. I can hit it quicker though.

IMO, get the best deal you can get without paying attention to performance because the difference is minimal. I am sure resale is much better for a 4S though.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate