Water pump change out 2003 XR6 150

First time for me to change water pump in a Mercury. Question is, once I drop the lower unit, remove the old water pump and impeller and put the new on and ready to slide the lower unit back on to the mid section, is it required to put a bead of silicone around the top of the lower unit when putting it back together? Also, is there anything else that I need to look out for when putting it back together?

I do not have the serial number with me at this time to put in here. Hoping that the question s generic enough that it isn't needed.

Thanks
    Last edited by TxRanger1; 12-03-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding info

i usually replace the entire kit with the housing, gaskets, and impeller. I never use the silicone. Make sure you line up the shift shaft and both the lower unit and the control is in neutral.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

3. Banned
    As 22R said. Replace with entire kit and no silicone needed.

I put the shift lever in forward before I drop LU. That way when reinstalling the LU I can turn the prop slightly to line up the drive shaft splines rather than trying to reach up and turn the fly wheel.

4. Member
    Watch that the water pipe gets in the top of the pump.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check out the FAQ Section on the 2.5L Forum (next forum down). Sherm's Water Pump Replacement instructions are linked there.

DON'T use grease on the impeller. Dawn Dishsoap is a good lubricant for the impeller (and safe).

YOU WILL NEED TO USE SILICONE ACROSS THE EXHAUST DAM (just aft of the water pump). No sealant is used on the gaskets, however.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor