Banned

Props - Stainless or Aluminum ?

Which one is better ? And why ?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Stainless.

(1) much stronger blades that don't flex as much.
    (2) less likely to change pitch over time due to (1).
    (3) takes occasional abuse better (sandbar, mud, flotsam, etc.)

For those reasons, I can't recall seeing an alum prop on anything 150hp and up.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Banned
    Okay , that explains it. Never had a stainless prop before . The boat I am getting will have one .
    Thanks for reply.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Each has their place- and Aluminum props are actually quite popular (additionally there are some pretty good performing props in the Aluminum lines, UNLESS you in a surfacing or elevated mounting height application).

As suggested, stainless props are more durable. That comes at a cost, however. Hang a 20# Stainless prop on a 10# propshaft, with a 5# forward gear and 1.5# pinion gear... then hit a stump hard or a rock hard... and hope/pray that the prop hub absorbs the impact and sacrifices itself.

If not... the prop will be damaged, but so will something else (more than likely). This is why aluminum props are so popular on runabouts and pleasure boats.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don gave a good explanation. Any yes, I have seen aluminum props on 150 hp engines. If you or your kids run into stuff a lot, Alum can be your best choice. I run all SS but watch what I do, but stuff happens. My last boat I took a SS off for an aluminum Spitfire that ran great, but that was a 60 hp tiller. So it all depends on how you drive and want to use the boat. I also have an aluminum for my Verado to be used when spring fishing on the Mississippi or Wisconsin rivers. Wing dams and rock fingers don't play nice with any prop, and my aluminum cost less than a rebuild on a SS prop.
    Ches.
    Last edited by Ches.; 12-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor