Should the calipers do this?

Had a squeak coming from the wheel and checked it out. Definitely needs a new rotor, but should the caliper have much movement? I could slide it several inches side to side and 1 pad is nearly worn down and one is not. I have changed lots of car, truck, and motor cycle brakes and the calipers are held solid. This would seem to be that when braking were applied, the piston would move the caliper versus pushing the pad against the rotor. Tried to upload a video to no avail.

2. Member
    All I have changed have been like a car or truck...they were no loose

3. Member
    What year trailer might help get accurate responses.

Shouldn't move. I think you need more than just a rotor and pads.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    2006 519 VX with tandem axle trailer. I bought it used earlier this Spring and just started squeaking. Replaced the oil bath hubs with Vortex in May. I have never had calipers move, these you could move in and out several inches by hand. Will have to check the bolts to see if someones previous repair was done improperly. I figured as much.

Shouldn’t be enough clearance even with our pads installed for anything to move several inches
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

7. Member
    2005-2009 Have TDE (Tie Down Engineering) Calipers on them. They mount using SS "slider" pins. The caliper does move (minimally) on those pins. Check to see if they have a jam nut on them, as the may have loosened up. Those are much the same design as the Kodiaks disc brakes.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AHens View Post
    2005-2009 Have TDE (Tie Down Engineering) Calipers on them. They mount using SS "slider" pins. The caliper does move (minimally) on those pins. Check to see if they have a jam nut on them, as the may have loosened up. Those are much the same design as the Kodiaks disc brakes.
    Any pics of what I should be looking for on these calipers? There does appear to be some type of hexagonal bolt/pin on the upper and lower portion of the caliper. Just not sure what I should be looking for on these.

It would help if you would post a pic of yours
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ethosb View Post
    Any pics of what I should be looking for on these calipers? There does appear to be some type of hexagonal bolt/pin on the upper and lower portion of the caliper. Just not sure what I should be looking for on these.
    Google Tie Down Brakes.