Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mewbi Boat Restorer!

And so the journey has begun. My mission is to restore the interior of my 2004 Stratos 195 ProXL.
    Last year I was going to replace my boat with a new/newer boat of similar size and HP. My boat had a 2004 Evinrude 200 HO. That motor was strong and ran great for about ten years. When it started having issues they seemed to never stop. It had gotten to the point where critical parts were very difficult to find. Dealers basically said it was not worth trying to repair it.
    When I started boat shopping I could not get over the sticker shock...$50K and up to replace my boat.. While surfing this site I came across a post from the "Boat Warehouse" that they had a 200 ProXS Opti for under $12K. I decided to re-power.
    The dealer experience with the re-power did not go well. The workmanship was terrible. I could write a book on that deal but it's over now. So after fishing this past season I decided to replace the carpet. Install new pedestals and pedestal bases, seats and install a new recessed pan for the trolling motor pedal. I will also install new system link gauges for trim, water pressure and volts.

Getting the carpet out was not too bad. But getting the glue off everything has been a chore. That is finally complete. I am getting ready to take my compartment lids to an auto paint shop for painting. For some reason the paint on my lids has started bubbling and peeling. Need to order some black SS replacement screws. Anyone know a good source for them please let me know.
    Ordered new 24 oz shadow grey carpet from Ranger Boats and it should be arriving next week.
    This is a very large project for me to do by my self but as they say..I shall endeavor to persevere!Boat repair-1.jpgBoat repair-2.jpg

2. Member
    While not cheap, restoring can be cheaper than new. As you may already know, it can also present challenges but makes it all the more satisfying. Looking good so far! Good luck to you. Post more pics along the way.

3. Member
    I usually get fasteners from Albany County Fasteners online. American maintenance supply on Indian river rd has ss, but not in black. Sand and shoot lids yourself, no need to go to body shop. I'm local of off Newtown road were the light rail ends. Let me know if i can help you. Name is Charlie.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by va. bass View Post
    I usually get fasteners from Albany County Fasteners online. American maintenance supply on Indian river rd has ss, but not in black. Sand and shoot lids yourself, no need to go to body shop. I'm local of off Newtown road were the light rail ends. Let me know if i can help you. Name is Charlie.
    Thank you Charles!

5. Member
    195 is a good hull. Jamestown Distributors has a lot of fasteners to choose from. I've gotten a lot of stuff from either them or Wholesale Marine. If you're going to get a recessed tray you might as well take advantage of the Tacklewarehouse sale going on right now, it'll be as cheap as you'll find one.

6. Member
    I painted my SS screws. Rustoleum etching primer and then black gloss--or flat if you prefer.
    Don't know how long the paint will last but hey....taking out screws and painting again is just about as easy as it gets working on a boat.

As far as carpet glue removal...MEK (sold at most home improvement stores) worked the best for me. And a ton of elbow grease. Highly flammable though and must be used in WELL ventilated area. No smoking. But hopefully, from your wording, you are way past this part.

Good luck! I hope it goes quick and without too many surprises.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    195 is a good hull. Jamestown Distributors has a lot of fasteners to choose from. I've gotten a lot of stuff from either them or Wholesale Marine. If you're going to get a recessed tray you might as well take advantage of the Tacklewarehouse sale going on right now, it'll be as cheap as you'll find one.
    That is exactly what I did. I ordered from them during the 20% off sale. Should be here by the end of the week. Figured it's a good time to do it while there is no carpet on the boat.
    I started cleaning the smeared glue residue off of the exposed areas on the boat. The only thing I could find that would remove that crap was Nufinish boat polish. Had to rub it in and it eventually removed that stuff.

Rather than paint the underside of the lids, suggest installing foam insulation like the new models.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

9. Member
    Hey Finlander, I was thinking the same thing. My cooler lid has the closed cell foam on it. I priced getting my lids painted at an auto paint shop. It was a little rich for my blood. I have a friend that works in applying coatings on ships and industrial equipment. He offered to blast the lids for me. I may have to paint them myself but at least they will be cleaned up nice.
    Today I will be going through all the wiring under the dash. I want to install some Mercury System Link gauges. My gauges are difficult to access but I will get them out and cleanup the wiring.
    Still waiting for my carpet to arrive from Ranger Boats.

10. Member
    Just a quick little update: Cut the deck for my new trolling motor pedal tray. It was a bit of a job as there is an aluminum reinforced bulkhead where my front storage compartment ends. I had to cut just a small part of that bulkhead but I did get it all cut with my recip-saw. Of course the hole was too small so I had to use the oscillating saw to trim it out. My new carpet arrived from Ranger Boats yesterday so now just waiting on my lids. I also cleaned up all the wiring under my dash and it looks nice and neat now. I painted the edge of the cutout after taking this picture. I am going to try and fabricate additional support for the opening.Boat Pic 3.jpg

11. Member
    Aluminum channel or angle glued and screwed will support the opening. I have some at the shop if you need some. pm for my phone #. Looks good.

12. Member
    Looking good, a lot of work but when finished Satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    Hey Finlander, I was thinking the same thing. My cooler lid has the closed cell foam on it. I priced getting my lids painted at an auto paint shop. It was a little rich for my blood. I have a friend that works in applying coatings on ships and industrial equipment. He offered to blast the lids for me. I may have to paint them myself but at least they will be cleaned up nice.
    Today I will be going through all the wiring under the dash. I want to install some Mercury System Link gauges. My gauges are difficult to access but I will get them out and cleanup the wiring.
    Still waiting for my carpet to arrive from Ranger Boats.
    The entire plastic panel should come off allowing access on both sides.

No need to paint if you add closed cell foam, in fact, you would get better adhesion going direct to the lid vs having a paint layer.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

14. Member
    try ace hardware for the ss screws they have just about everything.

15. Member
    Just an update. I have been gluing carpet to my lids. This has been a slow process as the weather has been pretty cool. I can do one large lid or up to three small lids in a day. I try to warm the lids in the house and then glue them outside in the garage. I then bring them inside the house (utility room) to set for 24 hours. This allow the glue to set while the carpet is clamped down. Slow going. I do have the large steel platform that covers the fuel tank and supports the seats to do. I can't bring that indoors so I will need some warmer weather to tackle it. Only three more lids to do. They are rod locker lids and the battery access lid.
    Cleaned up the wiring under the console and added the temp gauge i got fro European Marine. That all looks good now. I am installing a new Lowrance Carbon 7 on the front. ordered it from Fleet Farm Supply. I will need to get a mounting bracket for it. I will take some more pictures and try to post the. I could not seem to resize the last ones to work.

16. Member
    A little update. Everything is glued down except for the rod lockers. One of them is at 50%. Wife helped me install the compartment lids. Could not have got it done without her help. Added a link to facebook for a few pictures. Going to try and load some here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

BoatCarpet22.jpg This is a picture (90* off) of the steel seat pan. Used up almost all of my clamps on this one.

BoatCarpet23.jpgUsing finishing nails to place the hinge in the proper location. Used a soldering iron to open the screw holes in the carpet.

BoatCarpet24.jpg This is the lid for the rear hatch and net storage. This was a bear to do.

BoatCarpet25.jpg set the rod locker lid up here for the flat portion to dry. I thought I had plenty of clamps but running a little short. It takes the glue a couple of days to get dry enough to work the edges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Carpet is done! Now i need to find some decent seats no wider than 20 inches. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know. I still need to screw down the seat base but I am going to wait until I get the seats. I may need to access under the base.

BoatCarpet55.jpg
    BoatCarpet56.jpg
    BoatCarpet57.jpg

18. Member
    Good job...looks great!

19. Member
    Thanks, it's getting there.

20. Member
    Looks great! Can you get your seats reupholstered?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast