Alabama Rig Suggestions

Just ordered some Picassos (had more favorable reviews), looking forward to trying it out. Got smartmouth Jig Heads (1/4 for the bottom and 3/16 for the top) and Fat Impact swimbaits in shad and white colors (3-4"). Any tips for a rookie?

2. Banned
    Slow retrieve seems to work better for me. Of course depends on depth of water.

3. Member
    Which heads - mustad, 3x or gammy? Line tie angle varies...
    Last edited by Bigguyone; 12-04-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

4. Member
    Colder water; slow roll and flare the reel handle every couple turns.

Warm water; you can speed it up but still flair the reel handle every couple turns.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

5. Member
    Picasso Smart Mouth Gammy's
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguyone View Post
    Which heads - mustad, 3x or gammy? Lien tie angle varies...

6. Member
    If youre fishing a 5 wire those are fairly heavy heads unless youre fishing really deep. We fish them down to 15-20’ and use 1/8oz heads all the way around. Ive found that with bigger heads i have to speed up my retrieve more than i like to keep it off the bottom. Not sure what type of bottom youll be fishing, but around here if it touches the bottom its hung up on rocks
    They aint got hands, set the hook

7. Member
    put 1/8 oz heads on it. shad colors on outer wires and white in middle. It'll run about 10ft deep with a steady slow retrieve. When you get bit, just keep reeling until your rod loads up, then set. Be prepared to lose a few if you contact brushpiles and bottom.

8. Member
    Grass is what I need to worry about, no rocks or wood here. Thinking weedlines, and mouths of canals, but we'll see.

Great info, I'll switch the 1/4's to 1/8's, thanks

9. Member
    Worked great, added a new tool this weekend. Only caught one, but it was a junk fishing kinda day. No pattern, every catch on a different bait. The one I did catch was in some schooling fish. You guys use it for that much?

10. Member
    If you find schooling fish you can usually throw it in them and get bit before ya turn the reel handle. We keep one out on a local lake in case the stripers come up.

11. Member
    Agree with Jamie. Think of it more as slow rolling a giant spinnerbait. Hang on..

12. Member
    Here in Tennessee, you can use 3 hooks at a time. I still use a 5 arm but on the two outer arms, i use different blades depending on water clarity. Stained-muddy water gets Colorado blades. Clearer water gets small willow. I use bumpkinjigs.com swimbait heads 1/8 with 3/0 hooks. His have a spiral wire plastic keeper. Agree with what has been said about thinking of it as a giant spinnerbait. Roll and kill it, then pull and kill it. I just keep it simple with Yumbrella JR and 6:3-1 reel. 20lb fluoro or mono. I have used both and had equal success. I mostly fish TVA highland reservoirs. Main lake rocky banks, points, humps and bluffs. Keitechs, Suicide Shad and a local hand poured are my three staples. I only dip the middle bait in spike it.

13. Member
    Fish it slower than you think you should. Often times I like to let it sink to the bottom then reel slowly back to the boat. Also use 1/8 jig heads and small baits.

14. Member
    Does anyone use the 1/16 oz jigs? I saw them in the a rig style the other day.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob52O View Post
    Does anyone use the 1/16 oz jigs? I saw them in the a rig style the other day.

If you wanna fish it shallow (less than 10’) i think the 1/16 would be fine. Not sure what lakes here in ky you throw it on but most of the lakes i throw it i like to fish deeper than 10’

I have my best luck with a slow retrieve and some rod pumping to get the rig to flare a bit on the retrieve. It's easy to reel to fast IMO, so watch your speed