Shift Shaft Seal Pro XS

225 Pro XS Serial #1B432557

Pulled the lower unit to inspect a gear oil smell, pressure tested, and I have a leaky shift shaft seal. Looks like I need part # 8164641. I looked in the service manual and it simply stated that it is replaceable, but doesn't talk about the procedure. Is this as simple as taking the shift shaft bushing assembly off the lower unit, take out the old seal and drive the new seal in? Or do I need a special tool? Also, looking at the parts diagram, I don't have the washer above the oil seal, part #77674. I don't ever remember seeing one on there either. Is this an issue or just simply buy a new one when I do the oil seal? Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Seal is VERY easy to install (just use a socket to push it in). Recommend utilizing something like "Indian Head" (shellac-based sealant from an Auto Parts Store) or Bellows Adhesive on the new seal.

Lip faces UP.

Washer is mainly there to keep debris off the seal lip. Recommend installing one when you put the seal it.

I would also recommend the gasket and the O-Ring that seal the carrier to the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Just buy the housing new. Comes with new seal, gasket and oring. Then u dont have to worry about accidental messing the seals up. This whole piece is cheaper that wat you would think. Best i remember under 30.00
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Just buy the housing new. Comes with new seal, gasket and oring. Then u dont have to worry about accidental messing the seals up. This whole piece is cheaper that wat you would think. Best i remember under 30.00
    Since this is an aluminum housing... it takes a little bit of effort to "mess the seals up". And it's a lot more than $30 (I believe Redngoo didn't see you were talking about the SHIFT shaft seal, and thought you were referring to the DRIVESHAFT seal).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Actually i didnt see it was a torque master i assume. I changed my verad style on my 200 it was plastic. Thanks don for the correction. My bad!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor