Breakers for trolling motor

I'm replacing all the little things that can go bad on a 23 year old boat.

Any advice on which breakers I should buy? Is 40 amp sufficient? 24V 80 lb. Terrova on 2 31 series batteries.

I'm thinking these? Not sure if they are junk?

https://www.amazon.ca/Circuit-Breake...92&sr=8-2&th=1

This is what I have now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Breakers are for the wiring, so you can’t go larger than what the wire can handle.

40A is too small for an 80lb motor. You need 60A to fully use the motor, but you need 6 or 8AWG wire depending on how long the run is from batteries to TM.

If you have two breakers, you have a 3 or 4 wire setup. If you are using all the wires, you need two breakers, but if you’ve switched to a two wire system and have unused wires, you only need one.

Tell is what size wire you have and how long the run is and we can confirm what you need.

Ranger style switch breakers are the best choice IMO.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    As mentioned, an 80 pound troller from MK needs a 60 amp breaker. Something like this will work with built in switching so you can disconnect while charging. I see that you are in Keswick. Central Outboard on Woodbine Avenue in Markham can get it for you or, you might find it on Amazon. It is also available in panel mount.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/714...face_Mount_60A
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Good info. Thanks.
    1997 Ranger 692VS.
    I believe this system runs both batteries to the front and then runs them series.
    I believe the cables are stock.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

5. Member
    With my current set up would the 2 30 amp breakers on the 12 volts equate to 60 amp when they are joined in series?

Why would I want to disconnect when charging? Using a new 3 bank Minn Kota charger.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    With my current set up would the 2 30 amp breakers on the 12 volts equate to 60 amp when they are joined in series?

Why would I want to disconnect when charging? Using a new 3 bank Minn Kota charger.
    No. Breakers don’t add. Some motors should be disconnected when charging the batteries. See your manual or contact MK to see about yours.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I am in the process of doing to same project with a 1998 skeeter. I attached a piece of parachute chord to the battery ends of the old wiring (factory, not tinned) and pulled them out from the bow. I ran 1 pos and 1 neg of 4ga in its place. I removed the short stop fuses and added the same breaker that catdude28 linked on the pos side. At the bow, I decided to avoid using a plug and attached everything to a blue sea terminal. https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...Dual_PowerPost

8. Member
    You're MinnKota should be disconnected from power when charging, else the risk of damaging the control board. You're Ranger, if still factory, will have 4, 6ga wires coming from battery to trolling motor. I would suggest reconfiguring as this was done to enable the charging of both batteries using one charger and a Ranger Charge plug. Since you have the onboard, you don't need the 4 wire set up.
    To reconfigure, you will remove the positive wire of one battery and the negative of the other. Place a 60a resettable breaker between the positive wire that is connected and the battery terminal it is connected to. At this time go to the plug and remove the two wires you disconnected in the back. You probably disconnected the orange and white. Now, remove the trolling motor wires from the trolling motor plug, route them through the front console and connect to the trolling motor plug at the place where the batteries are connected. Now back at the batteries, connect a 6ga jumper from the empty ground to the empty positive of the trolling motor batteries. This will hardwire 24v to the trolling motor and use the disconnect on the breaker when charging.
    John

9. Member
    Thanks John.
    Are you describing a typical 24 volt system with a breaker on the positive line?
    Do you suggest wiring the trolling motor direct?
    Minn Kota breaker?
    https://www.amazon.ca/MinnKota-MKR-1...=sports&sr=1-3
    1997 Ranger 692VS

Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    I recommend that you consider the design posted above in post #3 that "Combines switching and circuit protection into a single device".
    There is a note about that breaker being used for a switch in post #3. You may want to use a switch duty breaker for that application.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Thanks John.
    Are you describing a typical 24 volt system with a breaker on the positive line?
    Do you suggest wiring the trolling motor direct?
    Minn Kota breaker?
    https://www.amazon.ca/MinnKota-MKR-1...=sports&sr=1-3
    Yes, the breaker you show on Amazon is fine since it has the on/off (reset) breaker.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Turns out the Minn Kota is just a breaker and not a switch. Looks like the Blue Sea one will do the trick although quite expensive.

Here are pics of the wires and plug. Should I just use the white (thicker then the others) and black and remove the others?

Is the Ranger plug the way to go or should I get another one?

Thanks
    Rod
    1997 Ranger 692VS