Steez or Tatula AGS guide Reviews

I want to try a Steez AGS rod, got my eye set on the 7’6” spinning, and only one thing is holding me back (other than the $500 experiment). What have your experiences been with the AGS guides? Most reviews of the rods are positive other than some say the guides are really fragile.
    Care to weigh in? I’m looking for something competitive with the NRX/High end market.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

2. Member
    I have the Steez AGS 7' 6"H and it is one of my favorite rods. Very sensitive, very light, very well balanced, comfortable/ergonomic reel seat and have had no issues with the guides. They don't seem fragile to me, and I like the fact that they don't get bent like metal guides. I also own NRX's, Poison Adrenas, etc. and to me it is definitely competitive at that level.

3. Member
    They are tougher than you think. I wouldn't be dropping the rod on the gunwales, but you don't have to treat it like it's made of glass. If you're talking about the Steez 76MML, it's a hell of a rod. I picked one up a few weeks ago. I don't have much time with it, but it really is a special rod.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

4. Member
    I have the 7'1" MH Steez AGS and so far I've loved the rod. However, I've only had it out a half-dozen times so I can't say what the longevity of the guides will be. I've never been someone who breaks guides, but I have stepped on my rods a few times by accident. I definitely wouldn't want to do that with the AGS guides, since they will break/shatter instead of bending like a metal guide would probably do. I actually love the rigidity of the guides though and as long as you're careful with your rods you shouldn't need to worry about having issues with them. In case you haven't been made aware, Daiwa does specifically tell you not to run a connection knot (like braid to flouro) through the guides. I run straight braid on the rod so I haven't tested this, but I have heard others say they use a connection knot without issues. I personally wouldn't do it just in case you were to have issues and have to send the rod in for warranty work.

5. Member
    I just got the 72 MH and have 2 of the 76 Spinners on the way as of today. I am using mine for pretty much exclusive inshore fishing and plan to put them to the test

6. Member
    Thanks for the information, planning on the 7’6”M/ML spinner. Good to know they don’t want a connection knot running through the guides.
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P

7. Member
    yeah today i tied up a uni to uni with 30lb braid and a 20 leader, its not a small knot but it's even too big to fit through the guides and tip.

im going to master the fg and try it, i dont fish long leaders so im not that worried

8. Member
    No durability issues with my 4 ags rods over the last 2 years, and while i don't baby them, i also do not treat them any different than my rods with recoils. Zero issues so far on 3 spinning and 1 casting. They are definitely not fragile.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    No durability issues with my 4 ags rods over the last 2 years, and while i don't baby them, i also do not treat them any different than my rods with recoils. Zero issues so far on 3 spinning and 1 casting. They are definitely not fragile.
    I'm glad to hear this. I've been babying the rod so far because I've been afraid of breaking a guide. I'm not hard on my equipment, but it's good to know I shouldn't have to hold my breath every time I accidentally drop the rod on the front deck of the boat (carpeted too).

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'm glad to hear this. I've been babying the rod so far because I've been afraid of breaking a guide. I'm not hard on my equipment, but it's good to know I shouldn't have to hold my breath every time I accidentally drop the rod on the front deck of the boat (carpeted too).
    Definitely the only downside of high end tackle, your a little more cautious every time you land a fish or put them in the locker. They’re a joy to fish with, just have to pay to play.

11. Member
    no issues with my 76MML though I haven't used it extensively. I might have used an FG knot on my leader that went through the guides, but so far I haven't seen or noticed anything different. Agree with the folks on here, I don't baby my equipment, but I sure don't abuse it either! I probably take the same amount of care with any $500 rod. :)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Glad we could help! On this topic, i'll say the 7'6 mml spinner and 7'4 frog rod in the elite ags line are something special, they just have that "it" factor. The first time i used my 7'6mml, i went home that night and bought 2 more.

13. Member
    Let the wait begin, just placed the order. Thanks for the input and thanks to Tackle Trap for taking care of BBC

14. Member
    So the rod made it and I like what I see, cannot wait to use it.
    Question is, what’s everyone using for a rod sleeve? The Daiwa one that came with it is pretty tight over the last large guide(concerned about snapping it on the way one and off).
    Are you guys using braid to leader really keeping the connection knot out of the guides? I usually tie a modified Alberto with about a 10’ leader, the tag recommended against that.
    I can see why first glance doesn’t seem like much but just handling the rod while going through cleaning tackle/rods/reels I’m impressed how it feels and balances with a 2500 Certate!! Already curious about getting another.

15. Member
    I tie about a 20' FG knot with 8 or 10 lb braid. No issues with it going through the guides.

I use the Daiwa rod sleeves on both of my rods.

16. Member
    i have two 7’6”M/ML and they're my go to. debating on getting the 7 hvy for my new reel. anyway you shouldn't have to worry on the guides as long as its just for normal usage. i fish year round with these two AGS sticks. spring thru winter! hell i'm in minnesota and i'm still using them on the rivers right now!