Installing New Steering Cables

Am Installing new steering on my 175hp outboard which has dual cable setup and I've read somewhere something about loading up one cable due to chime or something, is this true and if so, how to do it?

2. Member
    I would change over to hydrilic steering you wouldn.t believe the difference I changed my cables once ,had take motor off boat to make the change ,

I believe the article you are talking about is this one http://bassboatexchange.com/tuning-out-chine-walk.

It will depend on your boat if you have to take the motor off or not. I did not on my Stratos, but every boat is different. Worst case scenario you will have to use a cherry picker to swing the outboard enough to get the new cables in (no need to disconnect anything or unrig it, just remove the 4 bolts holding the motor to the jack plate).

Dual cable steering (when new and set up correctly) is very sensitive and safe; as you have two cables...both would have to break at the same time to lose control, which is very unlikely. Most of the videos I've seen of bass boat crashes where they suddenly lost control of the boat the boat had hydraulic steering. Admittedly, this could just be because loss of control from steering malfunction itself is rare, and most boats these days come with hydraulic steering, so the few failures you do see will just have a higher likelihood of being hydraulic. Still, I like the redundancy, safety, and feel of cable steering, and it is a proven setup for performance boating. It's when the system is not maintained and left to corrode that things start to lock up and feel stiff. New cables and a little maintenance go a long way.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    I has a dual rack on my Winner. During cable replacement, the upper cable had to be bent into a radius that was tighter than allowed by Teleflex (and would be damaged if you did so). Suspending the motor was the acceptable procedure.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat101 View Post
    Am Installing new steering on my 175hp outboard which has dual cable setup and I've read somewhere something about loading up one cable due to chime or something, is this true and if so, how to do it?
    If you get the correct cables for your set up, most likely you will not need to do anything but replace the current 1s, however, if you changing set up, it changes everything.
    It would be nice going to a hydra system, but may not be worth it depending on the boat. I had dual cable system on my 1999 Skeeter SX190 with Yammie 150, and handle just fine.
    What they mean by loading up the cable is to make sure you DO NOT leave any slack when installing it. 1 should basically push the other, otherwise your motor will be loose moving side to side possibly creating chine walk from propulsion changes.
    BTW, what boat and motor set up are you working with??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    If you get the correct cables for your set up, most likely you will not need to do anything but replace the current 1s, however, if you changing set up, it changes everything.
    It would be nice going to a hydra system, but may not be worth it depending on the boat. I had dual cable system on my 1999 Skeeter SX190 with Yammie 150, and handle just fine.
    What they mean by loading up the cable is to make sure you DO NOT leave any slack when installing it. 1 should basically push the other, otherwise your motor will be loose moving side to side possibly creating chine walk from propulsion changes.
    BTW, what boat and motor set up are you working with??
    It is the same setup so yeah. I finally figured out how to push one cable to remove the slack so it works great now. Oh and it's a Johnson 175 fast strike on a Nitro 1995.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat101 View Post
    It is the same setup so yeah. I finally figured out how to push one cable to remove the slack so it works great now. Oh and it's a Johnson 175 fast strike on a Nitro 1995.
    Glad to hear that you got it figured out. Now, get'er done and get out there wet some lines, and hopefully get a big larry at the end of 1.