Charging AGM batteries

I recently upgraded my trolling trolling motor to a 36 volt from 24 volt. This leaves me with one battery without a charger on it. So I have 4 total batteries and only a Minn Kota MK330D 3-bank charger. All of my batteries are Duracell AGM 31’s. I was thinking about adding a 6 or 10 amp charger to charge my starting battery. Do AGM’s need to be charged slowly or does it matter? Also, is the Minn Kota MK 330D a good charger for AGM batteries? Thanks.
    2024 G3 1710 / 2024 Yamaha 90 SHO

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix618Pro View Post
    I recently upgraded my trolling trolling motor to a 36 volt from 24 volt. This leaves me with one battery without a charger on it. So I have 4 total batteries and only a Minn Kota MK330D 3-bank charger. All of my batteries are Duracell AGM 31’s. I was thinking about adding a 6 or 10 amp charger to charge my starting battery. Do AGM’s need to be charged slowly or does it matter? Also, is the Minn Kota MK 330D a good charger for AGM batteries? Thanks.
    dont go less that 10amp on that starting battery charger
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The concern with charging AGMs is not to let the voltage get too high. You can get away with charging a flooded cell around 16V, but because an AGM can’t have water replaced the voltage needs to stay below about 14.6V.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Ok. So at 14.6V what does that translate to as far as what amp size charger to stay under?

5. Member
    I am charging my extra battery with a 10 amp charger on the agm setting. I have been doing that for over a year.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Ok. So at 14.6V what does that translate to as far as what amp size charger to stay under?
    No relationship. Different AGMs have different current requirements. Some say no more than 10A, while some want 40A.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Good to know. My battery is the Deka - Duracell 31DTMAGM. Based on this battery. What’s the maximum size amp charger for this battery?

There is a way to tell based on battery stats what the charger size should be I just can’t remember how to determine it. I charge that battery at 15amps personally with a dual pro professional. I know that when I figured it out back a few months ago I could easily charge my northstar at like 25 amps but I’m only charging at 15 amps. I run 2 agms in parallel for cranking, northstar and Duracell.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Good to know. My battery is the Deka - Duracell 31DTMAGM. Based on this battery. What’s the maximum size amp charger for this battery?
    I’ve never found a max published by East Penn. Their literature mentions 10,20 and 30A charge rates, so they don’t seem too concerned.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    The MK330D will do a fine job to charge them! Used it with mine with no problems.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No relationship. Different AGMs have different current requirements. Some say no more than 10A, while some want 40A.
    Riddle me this. I recently bought an Odyssey 31M2150 ST.The documentation says max is 40 but also the minimum is 20! I do not understand the minimum number. It states for longest life 20 Amps should be the slowest charge. So is my 15 amp charger will shorten its cycle life? Bob
    Ref. Odyssey technical manual. https://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf
    Starting on page 15.
    Reread it and I think I am reading the minimum is 40 amps!
    Last edited by bobcoy; 12-03-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

FYI, My starting battery is an X2 Group 31 AGM. I had a 6 AMP on board charger for it and found that after a day of use (if not running live well) when I plugged it in the charger showed fully charged. I realized it just wasn't enough charger for such a big battery. Switched to a 10AMP and it charges now in the same situation.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Riddle me this. I recently bought an Odyssey 31M2150 ST.The documentation says max is 40 but also the minimum is 20! I do not understand the minimum number. It states for longest life 20 Amps should be the slowest charge. So is my 15 amp charger will shorten its cycle life? Bob
    Ref. Odyssey technical manual. https://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf
    Starting on page 15.
    Reread it and I think I am reading the minimum is 40 amps!
    I spent at least an hour on the phone a few years ago with Bruce Essig at Odyssey and we covered the charging process for those batteries.

It all comes back to a lengthy elevated float voltage plate cleaning cycle that happens at the end of the charge cycle. Odyssey recommends the higher charging rate in order to get the charge done fast enough that the cleaning cycle can complete before you go fishing again. Bruce said that lower charge rates would be okay as long as you didn’t fish everyday.
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Thank you sir! Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go