Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If it's anything like my Colorado diesel it'll be an awesome truck for towing boats and campers. The cost of operation over 15,000 miles has been no difference for me vs. a gas truck. DEF fluid costs for those miles is no more then the price of two crankbaits a year and the fuel price difference is buy one less mountain dew a month. Lol... If you want a diesel truck but don't need a 3/4 ton these smaller diesels are pretty awesome. Just buy one. Don't worry about justifying it, I mean guys spend $60k on boats to use 20 times a year and thousands on locators they don't know how to use but won't pay an extra $3 at the pump for diesel Lol... Get what you want and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    IMO a diesel motor is only needed if you intend to pull or haul heavy loads frequently and then it would only be in a 3/4 ton or bigger truck.
    Diesel's have a a lot of other advantages....the other half drives a BMW diesel, my 4wheeler is diesel etc... Way better mileage, less parts to break, more reliable..less maintenance. Little diesels are hard to beat.

$1.71 for gas? Gotta be E85. Heck Texas has some of the cheapest prices in the nation i have not seen 1.71 gas. more like 2.09 to 2.19
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    The everyday costs on the new diesels (whether 1/2 or 3/4 ton) are not where the difference in running a gas truck come in. DEF usage is so minimal you can't really even count it. Oil changes may be slightly more but many new gas trucks require synthetic so both are high.

The issue I saw with mine comes when warrantee is over. The eco diesel Ram was a great truck, but EGR valve and def filter issues (when you have them) are really expensive. The def filter they replaced on mine was $3400 I believe. That was done under warrantee, but was enough to let me know to trade the truck in before warrantee expired. That said, it's the same with the twin turbo fords- great trucks under warrantee but you don't want to have to replace both turbos out of warrantee (I hear 5-6k?). I see many ways to get painted into a corner on expensive repair bills with either of these trucks.

After owning the Eco diesel, I wanted to be able to buy a truck to keep- and not worry about huge repair bills when the warrantee runs out, so I went with a Tundra after the Eco diesel. Funny- this was going from the best possible fuel mileage 1/2 ton (at the time) to the worst. But, I'm Pretty happy with it, and plan to run it til the wheels fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    $1.71 for gas? Gotta be E85. Heck Texas has some of the cheapest prices in the nation i have not seen 1.71 gas. more like 2.09 to 2.19

Go 10 miles north and gas is $2.27

I just went by a local dealer. Asked for best price on a 1500 diesel, RST package (Chev goes WT, LT, RST, LTZ and the High Country). Retail was 57K, 46K was their deal. The 1500 LTZ I have now was a little over 12K off when I bought it almost 3 years ago.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I'd like to drive one some time. The reviews have all been super positive thus far
    Great reviews on the engine and transmission but they all have slammed the subpar interior.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    What is the advantage of the small diesel? Other places may be different, but right now at my local station, gas is $1.71 and diesel is $2.59. The increased gas mileage is not going to make up the difference in price per gallon and that doesn't even take into effect the increase cost to buy or DEF fluid or increase wear and tear based on the weight of the engine. Do these small diesels really pull any better than their gase equivalents?
    Unless fuel prices go through the roof its a wash between the upcharge they have for these half ton diesels and regular gasser engines, fuel economy is their niche.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    Diesel's have a a lot of other advantages....the other half drives a BMW diesel, my 4wheeler is diesel etc... Way better mileage, less parts to break, more reliable..less maintenance. Little diesels are hard to beat.
    Less maintanence? These hald ton diesel also cost more to maintain, twice the oil with every change, fuel and oil filters cost more than the gas ones.

9. Member
    Hum. I saw the review for the gm trucks with their in line six cylinder diesel. If I were to get a half ton truck I would get it!!!!!

Now I drive a ram 3500 drw (dual rear wheel dually whatever yall want call it) with the g56 six speed manual transmission, truck is a 2015. I pull upwards of 28,000 pounds with it about once a month or more. I also drive it to the store to just get a can of grizzly. I daily drive this truck period.

Worst fuel economy I've gotten with this truck is 10 mpg, thirty foot gooseneck loaded heavy, the best I've gotten is 21 grandma shifting/driving it.

It holds three gallons of oil. I change the filter and add a quart at 7500 miles then do a full change with filter at 15,000 miles.
    DEF usage hum let me see if I can remember, wasnt bad unless pulling on the heavy side. Light loads and unloaded it barely used any....... a bass boat will be light even for the eco diesel. My truck has over 191,000 on it, I deleted it at 36,000 miles.

The only problem I've had with it wasn't a problem but normal wear and tear/ maintenance.......replaced the serpentine belt around 150,000.
    Can't remember if the gm eco diesel has an exhaust brake or not but if it does you love it. I'm gonna replace the brakes next month more because of their age, they're still almost half life left in them. I down shift (compression brake) with the exhaust brake on and get down to 15 miles per hour before using the brakes to stop unloaded, loaded I do the sam but do use the brakes a little sooner.

Sorry for the long rambling BUT a diesel is more efficient than a gas burner. Even in stock form with the emissions on it will still go 300 to 500,000 as long as you do the maintenance on it. This is my second diesel and I doubt I will ever go back to a gas burner in my truck (s) again.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I could see it being an advantage if you pull your boat long distances a bunch . If the EPA crap doesnt kill the motor they will go 500k and pull better than a gas motor. Plus you get the ride of a 1/2 ton instead of getting beat to death by a 3/4.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    If it's anything like my Colorado diesel it'll be an awesome truck for towing boats and campers. The cost of operation over 15,000 miles has been no difference for me vs. a gas truck. DEF fluid costs for those miles is no more then the price of two crankbaits a year and the fuel price difference is buy one less mountain dew a month. Lol... If you want a diesel truck but don't need a 3/4 ton these smaller diesels are pretty awesome. Just buy one. Don't worry about justifying it, I mean guys spend $60k on boats to use 20 times a year and thousands on locators they don't know how to use but won't pay an extra $3 at the pump for diesel Lol... Get what you want and enjoy it!
    lol so so this!

I haven't seen a Chevy 1500 diesel yet but this past weekend saw my first F150 powerstroke diesel.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

13. Member
    I can’t believe the thought going into buying a truck. I’ve always just bought a truck I like. I didn’t sit down and calculate savings per mile and how long it would take to make up the cost difference in diesel. Gas trucks suck for pulling. I don’t care if it’s a lawnmower or a bass boat. Diesel is the only way to go. Can’t believe anyone who pulls a boat would choose gas over diesel if cost isn’t an issue.......which seems to be the issue more than anything, just some don’t want to admit it. I will never buy a gas truck again unless it’s a Shelby f150. My buddy pulls his BC cougar with an f150. What a miserable trip. I always offer my truck when we fish together, and he always accepts. Nothing worse than listening to a gas engine downshift and high rpms echo through the cabin at 4am in the morning.....have had 1 gas engine within the mix of 15 diesels over the past few years. Great truck but no way would I ever put myself through that again. Many miserable trips to lake and gas stations. When I hit the gas I want to go. I’ll take my over priced, over powered diesel everyday and love the cost of each fill up, thank you very much!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post

Go 10 miles north and gas is $2.27
    WOW that's cheap, I have to run the premium in my 602 GMC at 2.84 a gallon, the regular is like 2.39. I sure do miss the sound of my diesel running, if I did it over I would have bought another diesel, like my 6.2 but that diesel I just loved!!!

15. Member
    Around here (north Florida) regular is running 2.34 to 2.75 and diesel is 2.60 to 2.80, depending on where you buy it. My 2500 GMC gets 14.5 to 15.0 MPG pulling my 21' Triton and it goes to 20 to 22 mpg on the road by itself. My wife's Audi requires premium gas so I pay about the same for gas as I do Diesel,(premium is over 3.25 here) but her car gets better gas mileage. As far as the DEF is concerned, I purchase the Walmart brand which runs a tad over $7.00 for two gallons and my truck uses so little of it, the cost is almost a moot point. Now oil changes, that's a different story. Takes 10 quarts to change oil and I use that Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic at over $22.50 a gallon at Walmart, so oil changes are expensive. I do them myself so I save a little money Vs paying somebody else to do it.

My truck has the 6.7 Duramax and the Allison transmission. 445hp & 910 ft pounds of torque. It will pull just about anything you can manage to hook to it!

The truck is a beast and probably a little more truck than I need. The wife says it's too big and she don't like to drive it, but that's not a bad thing!

I dunno if I would buy any GM product right now, getting any work done is taking forever due to shortage of parts from the strike. Need another 6 months to recover. I have 2 GMs , one brand new less than 5k miles Chevy Blazer, and a Buick with 100k. Both have been waiting on a parts for weeks now.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post

Less maintanence? These hald ton diesel also cost more to maintain, twice the oil with every change, fuel and oil filters cost more than the gas ones.
    Incorrect. My GMC gas holds 8.5 quarts. The 3.0 diesel option holds 7 quarts.

18. Member
    My 5.7L Tundras and my 2014 5.3 Silverado all held more than 8 quarts of oil. I'll be interested in a half ton diesel when someone comes out with one that's reliable over the long run.

Most every gas truck I've owned over the years has averaged 12 MPG pulling a bass boat. The little diesels may offer 15 or 16? It's not the MPG as much as how the diesel pulls. They just hunker down and PULL. Does no good if they are in the shop for gremlins or a forced regen. Some say delete, hard to do away with the warranty.

Sans the local river marina all my pulls are an hour or so each way. Once a year I'll pull about 2,000 miles going to southern Florida and back. Reliability is tops of my buying decision. GM flat out denied the vibration issue on my 2014 Silverado. If they had handled that issue instead of calling it "normal crew cab beaming" I would have likely stuck with the Silverado. The engine is only part of the truck. Can you now shut off the lane assist? I could not totally turn that off on my 2014. Either the seat vibrated or you heard beeps. That got old on long trips. Does the Silverado have a good adaptive cruise system yet? The seats were awful on my LTZ...you knew they were truck seats. The Ram Eco Diesels were comfortable as all get out.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 12-04-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post

Less maintanence? These half ton diesel also cost more to maintain, twice the oil with every change, fuel and oil filters cost more than the gas ones.
    Going to guess you don't have one, and likely haven't had a smaller diesel vehicle.....

There is far more to maintenance than oil changes.....

No spark plugs etc in a diesel.... Our x5 diesel costs me exactly $12 more to do an oil change than in my Raptor...It also goes close to twice as long between intervals. Again there is also far less parts to break and replace.

20. Member
    Any updates from someone who has purchased the 1/2 ton GM Duramax? Curious to hear some real world reviews.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast