Lower unit building air pressure!

Etec Model number E90DPL1SF serial number 05281826 is building up pressure in the lower unit. I was trying to change the lower unit fluid and took out the bottom bolt and the oil squirted all of the floor. You could hear the oil rushing out with air pressure. What could do this?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not changing it on a regular basis.

3. Member
    It had been changed at the beginning of the year, had probably less than 75hrs on that specific oil in the lowerunit. Could a bearing be going out?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Heat and friction can cause this also..If you only had metal fuzz and no chunks , I'd change it and let her eat. IF there was no water intrusion...You can also pm gearcaseman and get his opinion....he is the GURU on the johnny/rude lower units...

Last and only time I saw gear case oil shoot out via pressure in the case when removing the screw the case had destroyed itself from within. Like Bassmeister said, heat and friction. I'd be getting that case internals inspected.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    Back in my day this was common, we learned to take out the top plug first, always do this.
    Well, maybe not so common but it happened a lot.

7. Member
    Well thanks for the replies I am going to fill it back up and change it in about 10 hrs and see what happens.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I had a lower do that to me when I was checking it out....oil was black and the pressure blew oil on me....I changed it and ran it because there were no chunks of metal on the plug.....ran it for 15 years before I had to have a new forward and pinion installed......It's my spare now. Again I say there was NO water intrusion and nothing more than fuzz on the magnetic plug......

9. Member
    Ya there was nothing abnormal on the magnetic plug and it shifts and runs fine. I have a back up lower unit I could put on it but I am really just curious about what could cause a lower unit to have pressure, Im sure something is going out but I guess I will just wait and see.

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Not changing it on a regular basis.
    An old marine tech down the road said the same thing. Old, worn out lube can cause it,,,,,has happened to me as well. Pop the plug on a motor and pressure.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arti_Fishal View Post
    Well thanks for the replies I am going to fill it back up and change it in about 10 hrs and see what happens.
    What LU fluid did you use 75 hours ago to fill it?

12. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I change mine every fall before storage at least,,,,,,sometimes more depending on use.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Did you fill it thru the top or bottom. You can aerate it filling thru the top
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS