Need Electrical help

I've got one of those 31 series x2 power agm batteries, I put it in February of 2019, and as of yesterday it will no longer Last all day. In fact it is dying before 2pm! I keep the master power switch off all day and don't run pumps etc.. The only thing I'm running is my little elite7 up front, I don't even run the hds9 if the big motor isn't on.

Around 2pm yesterday I went to crank up and it kicked the graph off, when trimming down the voltage dropped below 8v. On plane trimming up and it'll reduce the voltage so low the motor starts shutting off.

I bought the x2 power battery in February because I got stranded on the water a few times on my old battery, which was an interstate 27 series. I bought the interstate March of 2018 and November of 18 it started dying.. I thought it was the battery, but now I think it's my boat.

I have a 2000 triton tr21 with a Yamaha ox66 225hp motor. I've got a lowrance hds9 gen2 on the console, and a lowrance elite7 ti on the bow. I also have an ultrex. I've got an Mk460pc and have the profile for that battery set to AGM. I've tested the stator on my outboard, and it is putting out plenty of juice.

The only electrical change I've made to my boat is splicing the ultrex directional Puck into my lowrance hds9 constant 12v power cord. Could that be my issue? I just am doubtful that little Puck is pulling a lot of juice. .

I know having drained the x2 below 9v multiple times now that it is probably going to need to be exchanged, but it is a PIA to squeeze a 31 into my back compartment, so I'd like to only have to do it 1 more time!

Any advice or input would be very helpful!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The GPS can definitely drain the battery if it has power all the time. I suspect that you have a charging issue. To start looking, you need to measure the voltage at the battery terminals. First, measure 6 hours or more after unplugging the charger. Then measure while the outboard is running, both at idle and turning a couple thousand RPM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I've watched the read out on my graph. Generally idling it shows between 10-12 and on plane it shows 11-12.5.

I haven't ever checked it without motor running.

Where do you think I have a charging issue? On the onboard charger, or the motor?

4. Member
    Your alternator should put out 14 to 15 volts. Not 11 or 12. Does the 460 PC charger show fully charged for the Starting battery?(green light)
    Last edited by bobcoy; 12-03-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    I've watched the read out on my graph. Generally idling it shows between 10-12 and on plane it shows 11-12.5.

I haven't ever checked it without motor running.

Where do you think I have a charging issue? On the onboard charger, or the motor?
    Like Bob said, your outboard isn’t charging.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Your alternator should put out 14 to 15 volts. Not 11 or 12. Does the 460 PC charger show fully charged for the Starting battery?(green light)
    Yes the charger shows green lights, solid if I've left it in for a while.

Should the readout show 14-15 volts always if the motor is running? I tend to stay in one spot for a while(1-3hrs) and I just figured my motor charged the battery slowly, I have never seen the voltage go above 13.5 even on long high rpm runs.

I thought it was the alternator in the motor last year, but I had my mechanic test it when he did the yearly maintenance. He claimed it was putting out 14.5v and that I shouldn't worry about it

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You really need to measure at the battery terminals while the outboard is running. Most accurate reading. If the battery is low, the outboard will be trying to apply 14.6V or so. Other loads or battery condition can affect the actual voltage, but that shouldn’t be common.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    I will check this weekend when I'm out.

I do fear I have a power drain.

Basically my chain of events goes like this:

Bought boat in February 2018
    1 trip no issues, graphs on whole time

March 2018 bought all new batteries(all interstate 27 lead acid)
    No issues. Running graphs all day, radio etc

August 2018: installed ultrex, and mk460pc and new recess tray.
    2nd trip out after ultrex cranking battery died. I figured it was a freak thing.

Fall/winter 2018: I just kept my hds9 off whenever big motor was not running, and it seemed to work.
    Got stranded a few times if I had not fired up big motor all day

February 2019:figured I had ether a bad alternator or a bad battery, had mechanic check alternator, and I put the 31 x2 power agm in.

No issues at all until 2 weeks ago we were fishing schools and left both graphs on for probs 2hrs. Motor struggled to crank and graphs turned off, read 10v. I ran for about 30 minutes and kept graphs off and everything was fine.

On Sunday we were in one spot for 2hrs, no hds9 and motor struggled to crank again..

9. Member
    That battery should be able to power two 12" graphs and pumps for 8-9 hours straight and start your outboard with NO problems.

I'd load test that battery, sounds like it's going bad.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

10. Member
    I have had a 31 series battery issue this past summer. Walmart battery 3 years old. On its second year, it was showing a low voltage signal on the graph. That should have been my first sign of trouble. I believe that some of these batteries are faulty from the beginning. I purchased a new one, but before I paid for it I had them check it. Went through 3 before 1 was good. I have a simple straight wiring, with a 60 amp breaker,nothing else on the TM system, and yet the battery life was cut short by a bad battery. That one battery caused my 330D ,to go through one bank. The charger should have been able to work and not lose the bank. However I am not trusting the same battery brand again. My charger was out of warranty, so I had to eat the cost of a new charger and a new battery. I have since learned that some old batteries are being repaired and sold as new. This is a buyer beware issue. Not a common problem, but one that does exist. This was why a battery company moved out of town and changed their name. Not in business anymore.

11. Member
    Ok so I went out this weekend with my multimeter..

All voltages were taken off the battery posts.

MORNING
    First thing in morning motor off = 12.78v
    First thing motor on (idling) = 12.78v
    Higher rpms =12.78v
    Hds9 on motor running =12.5v
    Motor off 12.5v
    Hds9 readout = 11v

Middle of the day
    Battery read 12.1v

This is when it started having serious issues starting. After a long 20min run it still read 12v.

Is this absolutely indicative of a failed/failing alternator? The battery appeared to drop in voltage with no graphs on

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    Ok so I went out this weekend with my multimeter..

All voltages were taken off the battery posts.

MORNING
    First thing in morning motor off = 12.78v
    First thing motor on (idling) = 12.78v
    Higher rpms =12.78v
    Hds9 on motor running =12.5v
    Motor off 12.5v
    Hds9 readout = 11v

Middle of the day
    Battery read 12.1v

This is when it started having serious issues starting. After a long 20min run it still read 12v.

Is this absolutely indicative of a failed/failing alternator? The battery appeared to drop in voltage with no graphs on
    Definitely an inoperative charging system. Go to the Yamaha motor forum for troubleshooting specifics. Some motors have fusible links or replaceable regulators. Could even be wiring.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    After you solve your alternator situation I would suspect the battery might also in need of replacement. One thing at a time. Good luck. Bob

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    After you solve your alternator situation I would suspect the battery might also in need of replacement. One thing at a time. Good luck. Bob
    Draining and straining an AGM battery like I have is not recommended I suspect..

Thankfully batteries plus offers a 4yr exchange warranty on these batteries!

15. Member
    Maybe keep mum about the alternator. You never know with tppl batteries. The are tough to kill. Might be good to go. But keep an eye on it and the end of the replacement warranty. Bob