X-18 with a Suzuki?

Is anyone running a Suzuki motor on an X-18? I need to spec a prop for X-18 with a DF140A and right now I'm thinking 14" x 24p. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

2. Member
    Wanted to comment about the Suzuki. I had a 115 on my Weld-Craft for 8 years & it never went to the shop for one single repair. Suzuki makes a great motor & yours will last a very long time.

3. Member
    I have a X19 with a Suzuki DF140A. The motor had about 180 hrs when I purchased it back in the spring. I have put 25-30 hrs on it with no mechanical problems. You will not get the speed out of the DF140 that you will get out of a Mercury Pro XS or Yamaha SHO. The DF140 is a 4 cylinder with a small barrel gear case. The gear case will limit you to small barrel props which makes a performance setup even more difficult. If you are not concerned with speed, the DF140 would be a good choice from a reliability and price perspective.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies and Suzuki encouragement! I'm interested in the Suzuki for reliability and HP/lbs reasons. A Suzuki DF140 weighs about the same as Yamaha 115, and a 100 lbs less than a Yamaha 150.
    1 More Cast, would you mind sharing your set-up and what kind of mph you're getting?

5. Member
    I’m running a 6 inch jackplate with a Solas Titan 3 blade prop. I’ll have to measure my current prop to pad height, but the Solas 3 blade likes to run a little deeper than most. Top speed is around 46 mph with decent bow lift. I also have a 26p Trophy for a spare will run around 44 mph and less bow lift and a lot more slip. I’m happy with the current performance, but I know the Suzuki still has a few more mph in it. If you have a choice on jack plates, I would go with a 10 inch jackplate.
    Last edited by 1 More Cast; 12-16-2019 at 10:49 PM.

6. Member
    Thanks, One More.... thats a good place to start.

7. Member
    The gearing of the Suzuki’s allows for a pretty large diameter prop. You may be able to turn up to a 26P. I would love an update when you get some results.

8. Member
    You're going to need a higher pitch. That 26 trophy needs rebuilt. I know because it was mine. I didn't care about speed. Just had a 25 which was hitting rev limiter and when I took it to a good prop guy he had the 26 that needed rebuilt for top performance but nothing was wrong with it for function. So I bought it. The X19 still hit rev limiter with it. Added some cupping helped some. In warm or hot water you will not have get highest speeds. If you want high speed do not get a Suzuki.

9. Member
    Or get a 150 so you can buy a prop that will work