xi5 STill having issues-PLEASE advise

Jeez--still need help----ongoing issue with Xi5 80# SW---thanks in advance
    motor works good, then goes bizeerk (spins around then shuts down etc etc), then switch/synced from hand to foot pedal--thought it was hand control going crazy- now--dont know what it is --GPS light comes on--it does stay on anchor when it does work-- new batts in remotes, 25.5v going into motor--
    so far Ive had to replace-
    lower unit parts, then magnets in lower unit housing busted--so I replaced with complete lower unit--
    now the thing will find GPS lock but will not move as commanded by remote--
    maybe control panel now?
    I jsut read last week that I should unplug the TM wire while charging, but Ive always left it connected-my bad-I have a dual recreation 2 bank charger--
    is the control panel fried?
    could the housing magnets busting loose and/or me not ever unplugging the TM while charging cause the control panel to fry?
    would tme having to take the dang thing apart 400 times cause the control panel to cook too?
    could it be my GPS module?

2. Member
    It took me almost 4 years of hard use to wear a Xi5 105# out to the point of replacing the motor. I do loose GPS signal every now and then, I just turn off anchor mode on remote and turn it back on. Yes, unplug it during charge. When GPS lock is on and not command with remote, will it move by foot pedal, if so remote needs replacing. The housing magnets did not come loose from not unplugging during charge, but could cause problems in control panel and GPS module. I installed a disconnect switch for my TM.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    thanks-
    Yeah--im HOPING that its the control panel and not the GPS module--it used to work with the hand remote, then it stopped--synced the foor pedal backup--it worked a couple houers and now it dont work at all--if it does--its intermittent at best--will definitely look into cut switch--
    I just keep dumping $$ into something that aint worth it--but im too far in---dont have much faith in MG stuff-
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    It took me almost 4 years of hard use to wear a Xi5 105# out to the point of replacing the motor. I do loose GPS signal every now and then, I just turn off anchor mode on remote and turn it back on. Yes, unplug it during charge. When GPS lock is on and not command with remote, will it move by foot pedal, if so remote needs replacing. The housing magnets did not come loose from not unplugging during charge, but could cause problems in control panel and GPS module. I installed a disconnect switch for my TM.

4. Member
    If your XI5 is acting up when in anchor mode then it is a GPS module issue. I had to 4-5 units come into the shop and replacing the GPS Module fixed the problem. You do not have a remote or foot pedal problem for sure.
    However I had one that would not lock onto the Satellite and I rebooted the board and module with a Dunkle key that Motor Guide sent me. That fixed the problem.
    I would bring it to a repair center to get them to look at if under warranty or Call Motor Guide and see what they say.

5. Member
    Open the lid on the head of the TM, make sure cables for power and the GPS-receiver are on each side with as much space between them as possible.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    If your XI5 is acting up when in anchor mode then it is a GPS module issue. I had to 4-5 units come into the shop and replacing the GPS Module fixed the problem. You do not have a remote or foot pedal problem for sure.
    However I had one that would not lock onto the Satellite and I rebooted the board and module with a Dunkle key that Motor Guide sent me. That fixed the problem.
    I would bring it to a repair center to get them to look at if under warranty or Call Motor Guide and see what they say.
    silly question: what is a dunkle (dongle?) key and how does one get MG to send one? Mine will not gps lock. Thanks

7. Member
    Dunkle is a device(like a usb flash drive) that has info on it. It will reboot another device that uses that info. Think of it as when you upgrade software on a GPS Unit. Except it works a little different, but is the same principle.

8. Member
    Mine Xi3 have similar issues. Gateway/software are ok- tested it with oldest Xi5 - this one worked perfectly with all features
    Is anybody know what MG plan to do with this issue?

9. Member
    Check where the bolt goes through the shaft to hold the head on. I had similar issues with mine and found a couple of wires had chafed through against the bolt.

I had GPS issues when mine was new 6 years ago and contacted MG. They sent me out a card to re flash it and it's worked flawlessly since. Is it under warranty still?

11. Member
    Nope--8 monthsd out of warranty,,and trust me--they made DANG sure they reminded me of that at least 100 times---
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanhick View Post
    I had GPS issues when mine was new 6 years ago and contacted MG. They sent me out a card to re flash it and it's worked flawlessly since. Is it under warranty still?

12. Member
    As mentioned above, on the units I've had in the shop, it takes a GPS module to fix the problem.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]