Battery Maintenance

I have inside storage. In the past, kept the chargers plugged in year round and that worked great. Then, a fire inspector determined that was a fire hazard so we had to stop. Now, I visit on a weekend and plug it in for 8 hours or so to top off the batteries once a month. That worked this past season and is being continued. I just don't want to take them out, schlep them around, and then have to reinstall them in the spring. Those batteries are getting too heavy and I'm not getting any younger or stronger. How do you handle the winter?

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    I've had some battery issues due to a bad charger so I can't say I've got expert advice. I looked on YouTube and Googled marine battery winter storage. They want you to bring them in but I wouldn't want to either. I've had a heated garage a couple years and do as you do. You could contact some battery dealers for their opinions also.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

3. Member
    What criteria did the inspector use? It's no different then anything else plugged in. If you had a tv plugged in there would he make you unplug it?
    Please release me,let me go.

4. Member
    batteries are the heart of a bass boat. Bad batteries, nothing works. Topping them off once a month is plenty. But, if you are really concerned with them, take them out and keep them at home in a dry warm environment. Some guys say they get 5 to 8 years out of a set of batteries, I never have. Since the entire fishing experience depends on your batteries, I recommend you just replace them every 2 years, 3 at most.

5. Member
    I have averaged fishing 262 days a year for the last three 3 years. Same batteries AutoZone , run 3 df,24 volt tm,25 etec. I fish all day sometimes two then immediately put all three batteries on charge. Don't wait until tomorrow or whenever you remember do it immediately when you get home or wherever. These guys that are getting 2 years out of a battery have to be doing something wrong. I do not leave them on charge after fully charged keep terminals clean . High end batteries are fine for everyone else I use that extra money elsewhere. Many times have got 5 to six years or more from cheap batteries.never bring mine in keep fishing in winter no problem

I have always used Everstart for a couple of reasons. First, the price is reasonable. Next, there is a Walmart near anywhere I fish ... and they have a warranty or return policy that is user friendly. Finally, and most important is that I have had good luck with the brand getting 3-4 years per set. We have 3 very big batteries
    that are very heavy. They didn't use to be so heavy ... but the older I get - the more I tend to employ my son for the job. I have to use a 100' cord to reach the power supply so may be that is the issue with the fire inspector. It is 20 miles, one way to my storage so it's not a terrible job. The problem is that I have to make the drive twice each time. First to plug it in - then to unplug it. But you gotta love it.

7. Member
    put a timer on it goes on every saturday for 20 hrs then shuts off til next saturday