Carbon- No Down Scan

Looking for some insight from other users that perhaps have experienced similar issues. This is a new setup on this rig as I upgraded all my Gen 2 12's recently:

Let me first explain the setup: All 3 of my units are connected directly to the battery with a fusable link with 12ga wire that is soldered at the connections (no crimps). I'm running 2 x Carbon 12's that are current with updates and 1 x Gen 3 12 also current with updates. I am also running a SS3D box (also current on updates) and Xducer to the graphs at the console and the Spotlight Scan Xducer on the Ultrex on the bow. The SS3D box is properly hooked up with Xducer 1 and 2 in the proper port and the E-net running to one of the Carbons on the dash. The source is selected as SS3D on both units on the dash.

For some reason when I hooked it up the SS3D box to the Carbons, it will work with structure-scan but not down-scan. When I switch DS view to left/right or both, it works, but not in DS. I replaced the Xducer thinking it was bad and it did not correct the issue. I replaced the SS3D box assuming it was the issue because the T1 and T2 lights just blink and according to the manual it does this when it cannot read the bottom.....this also has not corrected the issue. I had a new E-net cable here and tried it and still the same issue. As of now the only cable not replaced is the actual power cable. I tried swapping the Carbons with each other and it still had the issue. All units have been hard reset. Also the unit that I hook up the E-net from the SS3D box tends to freeze or be non responsive to touch.

Looking for advise as I'm scratching my head at this point.

2. Member
    Do you have a 2D transducer installed and funtional?

3. Member
    Yes everything else is functional.

4. Member
    What version(s), Carbon MFD and 3D Module, are you running???? And you're selecting "Down Scan" icon on the main menu panel? What, exactly, do you see on the screen when you select down scan???

Eliminate the Spotlight Scan from the setup for now. Also remove all but one MFD's. Try to get one working first. Then add the devices back as long as everything is working as it should.

And you're on the water conducting these test????(Ask the King of "Test it on the trailer"!)

5. Member
    Try this, it fixed mine!!! Back up your waypoints and settings to an sd card. Reinstall the 2018 software updates for the Carbon units. Do a hard reset. Reload your waypoints. I did this for both of mine and they are now working fine.
    Phoenix 21PHX, Yamaha 250 SHO. Lowrance Carbons

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    What version(s), Carbon MFD and 3D Module, are you running???? And you're selecting "Down Scan" icon on the main menu panel? What, exactly, do you see on the screen when you select down scan???

Eliminate the Spotlight Scan from the setup for now. Also remove all but one MFD's. Try to get one working first. Then add the devices back as long as everything is working as it should.

And you're on the water conducting these test????(Ask the King of "Test it on the trailer"!)
    The Carbons when I received them had an old update. I updated to the 19.1-62.1.153 as it was the latest (without researching that I guess it has issues). The SS3D box upon receiving it had the old 18.3 software as well and (not knowing the 19.1 issues) I updated it to the 19.1. I was able to find an older Carbon release of 19.1-62.1.114 and installed it, however it did not correct the issue.

As far as what I see......it's nothing. YES, I know how to properly select the source and yes I am using the correct icon. I've been using Lowrance electronics for almost 20yrs and I'm definitely not "that guy" that buys a bunch of stuff and doesn't know how to use or set it up properly....lol. When I have both graphs on, typically my graphs are split so that the left has left side SS on the bottom with the map on top and the right graph has right SS on bottom with 2D and DS on top. I can see the left/right SS images just fine, but the DS is just a dark screen. Occasionally I will see a small blip of the "fish reveal" being overlaid, but the DS is just a dark screen. Also, the graph (right) that the actual e-net cable goes into from the SS3D box becomes very unresponsive to touch and the right SS pane moves slowly and freezes. The Carbon on the left will function just fine. When I switch the graphs from side to side and re setup the sources, the new graph on the right does the same thing and the one on the left (previously on the right) works fine.

As for testing on the trailer......I'm not that guy. The boat ramp is 8 minutes from me. The other night I made 5 trips back and forth testing stuff.

The spotlight scan has nothing to do with it. I run the SLS xducer on the front so I have DS on the TM for fishing brush piles. I've never installed the heading sensor and have those options disabled in the graph. Again....not the issue.

Currently I am only hooking up a single unit at a time to test. I've done a hard reset on all of them. To me this sounds like a software issue causing it. I've replaced every damn cable and my batteries are fine. When I bypass the SS3D box and run just the Gen2 xducer everything works flawlessly.

Does anyone have a software release older than 19.1-xx.x.114 for me to install and test with? The old ftp server that had them all hosted is gone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcshooter View Post
    Try this, it fixed mine!!! Back up your waypoints and settings to an sd card. Reinstall the 2018 software updates for the Carbon units. Do a hard reset. Reload your waypoints. I did this for both of mine and they are now working fine.
    I never leave my WP's on the graphs. All my lakes are split up in separate folders on my sd card and every lake has it's own file. I only load that lake, on that day and export/purge when I leave the ramp. Less data on the units helps them to run faster. Do you have an older SW release you can link me with?

8. Member
    Don't be that guy.... LOL. Tried to help someone and at some point found out that the 2D transducer wasn't even connected to the MFD. Sooooo.... sometimes I'll ask to confirm that we're all on the same page.

After sending my 3-Carbons, 3D transducer and module to Lowrance and 3 weeks later they send it back saying "NoFaultFound" they finally sent me a new Transducer/3D module. That and some re-wiring got it done.