Thread: RECTEC turkey

RECTEC turkey

I have cooked turkey on the Stampede many times with great results. I have started at 200d for an hour and then bumped it up to 265d until the breast was at 155d and then finished at 325d to crisp the skin.

I keep a log and it has always taken about 6 hours unstuffed regardless of the outdoor temperature. On Thursday I decided to try it stuffed and planned for it to take an extra hour. I was amazed that it was done an hour early, so I was off by 2 hours.

The only thing different this time besides the stuffing was that it was very windy. Same size bird that I have done in the past. Does anyone have an idea to explain what I experienced?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    temp gauge off?
    Last edited by 920screaming250; 12-02-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: misspelled
    TrackerUser

3. Member
    Unless stuffing a turkey makes it cook faster (and I know it doesn't) it has to be related to temperature readings. When I first powered up the grill the temperature reading seemed accurate for the ambient temp. I guess I was wondering if the high wind could have thrown the readings off.

I will need to mess around with it and check that probes accuracy.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Every piece of meat is different. The stuffing could get warmer and help cook it from the inside.

Check out heygrillhey.com. she has amazing recipes.
    I did my first spatchcock Turkey. It cooked way faster than I expected. Was expecting 2-3 hrs at 350. Probe in the breast and 1 in the thigh. Temp jumped up pretty quickly and I had to turn down the temperature. I double foil wrapped it and put it in a cooler and it turned out pretty good. I will either brine it or inject it next time.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

5. Member
    Stuffed turkeys cook slower, its just physics. There is no way for the stuffing to get "warmer and cook from the inside" That is exactly why it takes longer for the turkey too cook.....

What size was the turkey?

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Member
    I've had that happen on everything from turkeys to ribs to butts. Sometimes it takes longer and some time it's quicker. My old smoker was a cheap single wall uninsulated unit. The weather really played havoc with cooking times and temps. I've found smoking and grilling is more an art than a science.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance