FYI - Don't speed in East Liverpool, Ohio

Just an FYI if you're going down to fish the River. East Liverpool police are now shooting radar from the bridge overpasses. They mail you a $100 ticket with a pic of your vehicle and all of the data regarding your violation. No points on your license and no report to your insurance company, but $100 down the drain.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Banned
    Whatever happened to the 6th amendment to the constitution???... No pullover, no points, no report to insurance company???... Then I wouldn't pay it... Did you stop by the Lou Holtz Hall of Fame???... Dan

Dont pay it. They did this crap in norton. The city is just banking on people to pay it and not fight it.
    Collision Consultants of Akron--- Marine Fiberglass repair and electronic installer 3309333230

I agree. Photo tickets are complete crap. At least this camera was operated by an officer, rather than being the automatic type. But, the deal they cut you is hard to turn down...and they know it. They send you two documents. The first is pics of your vehicle and a close-up of your plates, along with all of the data captured by the radar camera. The second document is what REALLY chaps my ass. It's a full page explaining the dangers of speeding, how many traffic fatalities occurred in Ohio last year, and how speed contributes to accidents and fatal crashes.

First, if safety and reducing the "dangers" of speeding were their primary concern, an officer would have pulled me over and given me a ticket...which would have slowed me down the rest of my trip home and maybe for some time longer. Presumably, this would have made me a safer driver and less a "threat" to others on the road. Second, if I was driving unsafely because of speeding, then I should gets points on my license and my insurance company should be notified, and I should be fined an amount that would be a deterrent to future speeding. $100 is a lot of money, but hardly an amount sufficient to deter future speeding. Third, if safety is the issue, speeding would be treated as a moving violation, not a civil matter, as it was in this case. Fourth, if a speeding driver is, by definition, being unsafe, then the driver should be pulled over and ticketed, rather than the ticket being sent to the registered owner of the vehicle, as was done in this case, as ticketing the owner has no impact on whoever was driving the car, if it wasn't the owner. Finally, if safety was the primary issue, then Ohio law would not permit cities to pull this crap.

But, we all know that "safety" is just a justification that politicians use to allow cities this revenue stream. Yes, I was speeding. If I was sent a notice of violation with the words, "We GOTCHA! PAY UP!" across the top...OK, they got me and I'd pay up. But, instead, they "pee on your leg and tell you it's raining" with the safety lecture. So, if I decide to fight the ticket, I have to drive 2 hours round trip, waste time in court, and possibly be fined much more than the $100, plus have the points on my license and have my insurance rates go up. So, the deal they offer is too good to turn down: "Pay your tribute to the authorities and we'll let you off easy."

This is the first speeding ticket that I have ever gotten in 52 years of driving and only the third ticket I have ever received. It just irritates me that they lecture on the speeding nonsense, when it's patently obvious to anyone with a brain that it's just a revenue stream.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

There was just a thing on the news the residents are fighting to appeal those camera's

6. Member
    Steubenville.....which is 20 miles south of E Liverpool tried this same crap a few years back. If I remember right those cases were thrown out of court and those who actually paid were reimbursed. It’s pure BS any way you slice it...... No way would I ever pay one of those. By the way those cameras in Steubenville didn’t last very long. F those guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    There was just a thing on the news the residents are fighting to appeal those camera's
    Mark: Get this. I just read an article on WFMJ website. On Nov 5, East Liverpool voters overwhelmingly approved a measure to prohibit the use of traffic cameras in the city. But, because of a law suit being filed in the case, city officials and the cops continued to use the cameras. My ticket was issued on 11/23. The Sons of Bitches!!!

8. Member
    On the local news this morning....The cameras are no longer in use!

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news...amera-program/

Bastards were taking in $80,000 a month!

Talked to a good friend who is a municipal court judge in the Cleveland area. He says that since I was ticketed after the vote was taken, I’m entitled to a refund. He advised me to call the clerk of courts next week and find out how to proceed.

11. Member
    As it should be! Hope you get your money back.

Just spoke with the Clerk of Courts Office. I was told that they have nothing to do with the process of collecting the fines or issuing the tickets. I would have to call the company that collects the fines. She also told me that since the judge didn’t rule on the legality of the vote until Dec 2, I would likely not be eligible for a refund. Called the company who collects the fines. Turns out, they collect the fines for several different states...a veritable “fleecing the public” industry. The women I spoke with said that my payment of the fine was an admission of guilt, therefore no refund. The fact that my ticket was issued 18 days after the vote to eliminate the speed cameras was taken was irrelevant.