Lake Griffin fishing report

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a re-cap of my latest trip to the chain. As some of you already know I live near Seminole but have family that live on Griffin so I make a few days trip down there a couple times a year. I only fished Griffin this trip friday and saturday. Had a great couple of days and the fish were biting so here's the breakdown:

I was able to find a lot more hydrilla than my last visit in June. The southwest shore of the lake had several good fields of it where I caught fish but my most productive spot was a hydrilla field in about 6 feet of water outside the mouth of the canal on the southeast part of the lake.

I know it has a name but for you locals it's the canal that goes from the lake and ends in a culvert that goes under 441.

I caught a few fish punching junk mats in the canal that leads to Herlong Park boat ramp but they were all small. By far the best fishing was in that hydrilla going out about 300 yards from the mouth of that 441 canal. I caught numerous nice fat fish in the 2-4 pound range on a Lane Toad colored EZ Swimmer. Had it rigged on a 3/8 ounce swimbait hook and I was yo-yoing it thru the grass. Most hits came on the fall. I couldn't get them to touch anything else, tried spinnerbaits, jackhammer, worm and lipless crank. But they were all over the swimbait.

Anyway, had a great time and hope this helps anyone heading out there.

A couple from Saturday:
    Screenshot_20191201-191241_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by Poppin' Frog; 12-01-2019 at 07:27 PM.

2. Member
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

3. Member
    Good report, sounds like you had a fun time

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    Good report, sounds like you had a fun time
    We did. Weather was beautiful the entire stay. I definitely don't miss living in Ohio lol

5. Member
    Well you timed it right cause now it's cold and windy

6. Member
    Congrats!

7. Member
    Called for 40s tonight. Dam

Quote Originally Posted by GamblerAl View Post
    Called for 40s tonight. Dam
    a couple of " old brothers " should get after them again Al

9. Member
    Poppin .... can you use a normal swimbait jighead and RIP it through that grass or is a weedless swimbait hook only option right now. Will.be out there in 2 weeks. Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish4fun24 View Post
    Poppin .... can you use a normal swimbait jighead and RIP it through that grass or is a weedless swimbait hook only option right now. Will.be out there in 2 weeks. Thanks
    Weedless was the only efficient way when I was there due to the thickness of it. But by the time you go in a couple weeks it would be a month later and they've had some colder temps so it may have died back enough when you get there to go with a jighead.

If I was going back out there tomorrow, one thing I would definitely try is a shad colored swimbait on a weedless underspin using the same yo-yo retrieve

11. Member
    That's what I will be doing. Ty