Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prescription sunglasses

Short and to the point. My prescription changes yearly. As much as i love the tuna alleys its just not feasible. Having 2 buy a pair of everday, and safety glasses for work another 5 to 700.00 dollars for sunglasses is just not a option. Looking for suggestions?
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

2. Member
    My last pair of WileyX were about $210 if I remember correctly
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

I'm an Oakley fan, but have no idea what their prescription lenses sell for. If your eyes are changing yearly that's concerning.

I'm sure this has already been considered, but what about contacts? I've worn the disposables for 20+ years and love them. Sure does make life simpler.

4. Member
    My prescription does not change much year to year,My last Costa's were $700+also.I have a lot of stigmatism,add no line bifocals,Digital lenses,true polarizing,Costa frames,They cant be had for any less.Costa can not make my lenses,they must come from a different lab.Good luck with your search

5. Member
    Im a machinist but do have to weld on a regular basis. Unfortunately for me contacts are a no no at my job. Ive had surgery on one eye. Therefore a yearly exam from my opthamolgist. Not sure why but my bifocal and vision seems to change a little. Prescriptions only last a yr. My environment is very ruff on glasses. I do good to get a yr out of the 2 pair regulary purchace. I have the transitions but are not good for fishing. I am looking into something polarized. I kno im in a peculiar situation.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

6. Member
    Look at Walmart - single vision polarized prescription sunglasses can be had at less than $200.

7. Member
    I got prescription bifocal polarized Oakley’s at Costco for about $400

I have been using Cocoons for quite a while. I have the bronze lens for cloudy days, the gray lens for partly cloudy and the blue mirror lenses for bright sun. They are polarized. They fit over my prescription glasses and are full cover wrap around frames. No sun leaks through. They are comfortable for me.

If you try these, buy the Cocoons. I tried the knockoffs and did not like them as well. You can get them for about $100. They have several designs and sizes for different faces and glasses under them. Get the right ones for you. Something happens.....you can replace them for cheap.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I have had a total of nine surgeries on my right eye. Another due, plus cataract surgery soon for left eye (routine, I hope). So my prescpiption changes like the weather. I wear Cocoons, too. I think I paid something like $50 for them. I like them.

10. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Im a machinist but do have to weld on a regular basis. Unfortunately for me contacts are a no no at my job. Ive had surgery on one eye. Therefore a yearly exam from my opthamolgist. Not sure why but my bifocal and vision seems to change a little. Prescriptions only last a yr. My environment is very ruff on glasses. I do good to get a yr out of the 2 pair regulary purchace. I have the transitions but are not good for fishing. I am looking into something polarized. I kno im in a peculiar situation.

I don't understand why contacts are bad for that situation? I have ran machining equipment and weld quite often. No problem if I wear my safety glasses or a helmet. Could you wear glasses at your job and contacts the remainder of the time?

I gotta tell you . . . . Contact lenses are sooooo much better than glasses. You'll never realize the difference until you try them.

12. Member
    shady rays less than 200
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I just had cataracts removed (thank you Medicare & Blue Cross). I will be buying non prescription sunglasses for the first time in many years. Yep, I'm pretty excited about it.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

14. Member
    If he has significant astigmatism, contacts can likely be uncomfortable to the point of not being able to wear them. Speaking from experience. For me, my prescription might change slightly, but due to the cost of prescription sunglasses I just use the same pair for a couple years anyway.

15. Member
    As stated Walmart surprisingly has some that are good. Mine cost $212 from there.

16. Scraps
    An y possibility of changing up, going to contacts? Then you'd have way more options. I have Mauis with readers but would rather have full script and have debated for a couple years what to do. My script is difficult to go with contacts.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    I don't understand why contacts are bad for that situation? I have ran machining equipment and weld quite often. No problem if I wear my safety glasses or a helmet. Could you wear glasses at your job and contacts the remainder of the time?

I gotta tell you . . . . Contact lenses are sooooo much better than glasses. You'll never realize the difference until you try them.
    Company policy!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Company policy!

That's interesting. Not certain why they would do that. Must be a reason though.

19. Member
    Used Costa's for several years and bought a prescription pair (~$600+). Scratched in a short time. Last pair of prescription bought from Sam's and I'm very pleased with the results. REVO frames and polarized mirror lens. With insurance, $130.

20. Banned
    zenni optical online. nothing fancy, but you shouldn't care if you are going through them that fast.

My kids rx sport goggles were $40 when the local guy wanted $400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast