Steering arm extension

89 75hp Mariner, Serial # C204183.

My 35 horsepower Mercury had a small extension where the steering bolt connected. I thought I could just take it off the Mercury and put it on the Mariner but the bolt sizes and bracket are different. I cannot figure out the name or part number for the part that I need. I'd appreciate your help.

I'm looking for the piece that bolts here

This is what I had on my 35 horsepower Mercury.

2. Member
    I think I need BRACKET ASSEMBLY - 816667A2

Can anybody confirm this?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The lower picture is an engine that did not have a location for a tiller bolt (in the swivel bracket). The TOP picture is of an engine that already has a bolt location (does not require an additional bracket).

Both engines (as pictured) appear to be ready to accept the tiller arm bolt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The hole for the bolt on the 75 is too far in for me to attach my steering cable. Neither the bolt head or the nut will fit that far in. I need the extension bracket to attach my steering linkage.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't use that type of cable connection on a 75.

Correct cable/attachment has the cable installed THROUGH the tilt/steering tube, secured to the STB side with the cable end nut.

A tiller arm then makes the connection back to the Tiller Bolt (from the end of the cable).

The cable connection you have was commonly used for smaller engines (20+ years ago).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I would prefer not to replace the entire steering system if I could just get the extension piece. Even if it's not the correct thing to do. I may not even keep this engine for a long. I could always cut and make my own bracket if necessary