Some confusion on maps and sd cards

I got my new Ultra 106SV. I have one card in the unit that was required to be there for active captain. I followed instructions from other folks here on copying the Garmin quick contours folder from my 73sv to a card. I put that on its own card but perhaps that was not necessary.

Can I put the quick contours on the first card I installed (that active captain had me install)?

The reason I ask is that I wan to copy the G3 maps onto an SD card so that I can view them in Homeport. I read to do that I need to have insert a blank card and start the unit. Right now I have the card asked for by active captain and the second card has the Garmin folder. If I can put both of those (not sure what is on the first card) onto one card then I will have a free slot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I do know that the QD folder must be in the same card as the AC, also like Todd mentioned you need to keep the same structure of the folders....just "placeing" it on the AC card wont work as the unit reads the files from a certain place.

Not sure about copying the g3 maps as i have not done that.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I do know that the QD folder must be in the same card as the AC, also like Todd mentioned you need to keep the same structure of the folders....just "placeing" it on the AC card wont work as the unit reads the files from a certain place.

Not sure about copying the g3 maps as i have not done that.
    I am not sure I was clear. When I first fired up the unit (at the kitchen table) active captain said it needed a card installed for it to update the unit. Then I took a second card and copied over my quickdraw contours onto it.

1. Can I remove the first card since the unit is now updated? Is there anything on that card required to use active captain now that I am up to date.

2. quickdraw contours transferred over fine (I followed the instructions from yourself and Todd and it worked great) but I put them on their own card. Can I just use that first card for everything? Can I move that folder to the first card, blank out the second card and use it for data transfers to PC and back.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The AC card stays in the unit. Thats what it uses and knows what unit its in....when you take screenshots it will place the pics on the AC card in a dedicated folder. Same as the QD contours.

What data transfer are you talking about?

5. Member
    The AC card stays in the unit. Thats what it uses and knows what unit its in....when you take screenshots it will place the pics on the AC card in a dedicated folder. Same as the QD contours.

What data transfer are you talking about?

I am downloading the builtin G3 maps to an SD card so I can load them into homeport. Looks like this takes a couple of hours.

I did move the quickdraw folder from card 2 to card 1 and that worked just fine. Now I have an extra slot I can use for transferring stuff back and forth. My plan is to import the G3 maps and all my waypoints off my 73SV chirp into homeport. Then I can edit on the waypoints inside of Homeport (tons of ones I want to delete) and then upload the edited set to the 106sv.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, i think we are on the same page now.....

On my 12, i just keep the AC card in it and dont use the 2nd slot.......when i had my lowrance units, i kept a mapping card in one slot and used the other for transfering data, recording, etc.....with Garmin, i dont have a mapping card so 1 slot is free....

7. Member
    Ok, i think we are on the same page now.....

On my 12, i just keep the AC card in it and dont use the 2nd slot.......when i had my lowrance units, i kept a mapping card in one slot and used the other for transfering data, recording, etc.....with Garmin, i dont have a mapping card so 1 slot is free....

Thanks for your patience in answering my questions. I am now setup like you are. One empty slot and one slot has AC and QD on it. I downloaded my waypoints off my 73SV, pulled them into Homeport, edited them (deleted, renamed, etc). It was nice being able to view them on the G3 maps on Homeport.

One last question. Right now it seems like Homeport will not import the G3 maps - I need to have the SD card in my laptop to view them. I am not sure if this is a restriction or if I am just not doing something correctly.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this last issue.