New Skeeter FXR 20 Limited Chine Walking bad

Hello all, so on Nov 2nd I bought a 2020 FXR 20 Limited. Did my first couple of hours of break in iaw the book. When I got to where I could open her up she chine walks bad. I can trim up, feel the nose come up, hit about 69 or 70 and run about 100 yards or so and she will start chine walking. I have to trim it back down to get it to stop. I had a 2017 FX21LE and it never chine walked. Was wondering if maybe I just need to keep it trimmed down or drive thru it? If I keep it trimmed down I can hit about 68. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    I have the same model.

- does it chine walk with just you in it? Or, with a passenger also? If only with you in it, that points to a weight distribution problem.

3. Member
    Just gotta learn how to drive.

chine walk is a good thing.

4. Member
    If you can drive it go ahead and drive it. Sometimes raising the motor will help too

5. Member
    I wish my Skeeter was fast enough to chine walk.

6. Member
    Slight left pressure on the steering wheel is you friend. Also try raising your motor. Keep an eye on your water pressure though.
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    I wish my Skeeter was fast enough to chine walk.

8. Member
    In a recent tournament, with my partner in the boat, we ran at 74 mph with no chine walk at all. Still had some trim left, light chop on the water. These boats will definitely run!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky6153 View Post
    Hello all, so on Nov 2nd I bought a 2020 FXR 20 Limited. Did my first couple of hours of break in iaw the book. When I got to where I could open her up she chine walks bad. I can trim up, feel the nose come up, hit about 69 or 70 and run about 100 yards or so and she will start chine walking. I have to trim it back down to get it to stop. I had a 2017 FX21LE and it never chine walked. Was wondering if maybe I just need to keep it trimmed down or drive thru it? If I keep it trimmed down I can hit about 68. Thanks for any help.
    These boats are designed with a little more sporty feel. You can drive through the chine with little experience!

10. Member
    Thanks for the help. My last 2 boats never chine walked so its kinda new to me. When it did chine walk, I was by myself, empty livewells, and less than a quarter of a tank of fuel.

11. Member
    Shift (or put) some weight on the passenger side next time you go out. If you move 40 lbs from the driver side to the passenger side, that is a net 80 lb change. I would start there and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    If you can drive it go ahead and drive it. Sometimes raising the motor will help too

+1 Raise the motor!
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

13. Member
    May need to raise the JP slightly. Otherwise it may be the nature of the hull. You don't drive thru the chine. You drive it by balancing the boat on the pad. Slight left bumps in the steering will help. Seat time is your friend. Never chop the throttle to stop the chine. Always trim down.
    My buddies that own Skeeters do not have chine issues, but they do not own the new model like yours.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

14. Member
    The FXR is a completely different hull than anything Skeeter has made. It will chine walk. The days of trimming it all the way up and bumping the trim down one is gone. With that being said, I have been able to get some great speed out of our shops demo with out chining. Jackplate set at 4 inches (model I have been running is waiting for a JP sender, so no gauge yet), trim is set by feel. If I trim up to the point where driver feed back is starting to be needed, I bump the trim down once. At this point the boat will run 74 to 75. If I run the trim up a little more and apply some driver feedback, I have seen 77.

15. Member
    Raise the motor on the jack plate if manual at bout 8 dots or some on the hydraulic
    James Clark.. SKEETER...FX20..250 SHO Yamaha, Izorline Pro Staff, Deep Creek Pro Staff,Cpt. Gary Marine Products, Powers Swain Fishing Team, Warriors on the Water Staff

16. Member
    I had my FXR out yesterday, by myself with about 3/4 tank of gas. Ran 71.4 mph with no chine walk. As you are reaching top speed, very small adjustments in trim can make the difference.

chucky6153....your not that far from me. If you need help with set up and driving gimme a buzz I’ll be glad to help. Number is on my website.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    Thank you. pm sent