Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z518 Order Build - Feedback

After some thought and consideration, I'm not going to buy this boat. Likely just going to get a tracker and fish the hell out of it. If it breaks, I'll just buy a 2nd again for cash in 10 years.

Thanks for all the input. Unsubscribing from this thread now.
    Last edited by blwest; 12-01-2019 at 04:38 PM.

2. Member
    I’ve owned two z518s. Neither of which had the 200. In my opinion thats a great choice on this hull for both hole shot and top end. I would suggest upgrading to the tandem trailer as it will be smoother than the single. Good luck!
    2016 Ranger Z518
    2018 Ranger Z518
    2019 Ranger RT198P, 150 Pro 4s, Dual Blades

3. Member
    My build was similar: Pro XS was a must for me, the port console is nice but not a must if you don't need it.
    Build time was right at 8 weeks for me.

Z518 Z Pack Equipped w/ Dual Pro Charger w/
    Mercury® 200 L Pro XS FourStroke
    Trailer included
    Battery charge gauge (Dual Pro®)
    Dual Pro® on-board charger 15 x 3 (standard upgrade)
    Battery w/ holder / trolling motor (2)
    Cranking battery
    Hamby's 6' Keel Protector / Black
    Lowrance® Elite 9TI2 bow gimbal mount
    Lowrance® Elite 9TI2 console backmount
    Deluxe boat cover raised (motor hood not included)
    Engine hood cover - main engine
    Lowrance® Active Imaging 2 in 1 transducer (Can be
    used with HDS LIVE)
    LED compartment, cockpit and livewell light package
    Port Console
    Remote Drain Plug
    Livewell pumpout
    Venturi aeration system
    Retractable rod buckles
    Bike seat replace fold down
    Bucket seats w/ storage
    Manual setback plate
    Hot Foot throttle w/ slide (all except Mercury DTS)
    Trim switch lever control (single)
    CF3725 to CF5000 (tandem axle, tandem brakes)
    Retractable trailer tie downs
    Minn Kota® Ultrex 80/US2/IP-45"_BT

4. Banned
    The trailer steps Re nice

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamarig06 View Post
    I’ve owned two z518s. Neither of which had the 200. In my opinion thats a great choice on this hull for both hole shot and top end. I would suggest upgrading to the tandem trailer as it will be smoother than the single. Good luck!
    How was it with the 150? I could save a couple thousand going with that motor.

150 was great, never had an issue. I would suspect now it will hurt your resale if you choose not to go with a 200.
    Boatless

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    150 was great, never had an issue. I would suspect now it will hurt your resale if you choose not to go with a 200.
    I'm leaning towards the 150 as it'll save nearly $3000 out the gate. Not really worried about resell unless I become a pro (doubtful). Pretty sure this will be my last bass boat.

Also considering the nitro Z18 and ranger Z185. I think those 2 are a closer comparison. The dealer has a z18, ultrex IP-Link, bird 7's, 150 xs pro, on a tandem for $39k. That Z18 is about $5800 less than the z518 with a 150 hp motor.

Gahh so many choices.
    Last edited by blwest; 11-30-2019 at 04:35 PM.

8. Member
    The 150 was fine on that hull. Not a fast rig by any means. With 2 people and bass pro shops in the boat I saw 58 mph consistently. I did have an 8 inch plate on the boat as well. If you can afford the 200 Merc, I’d do it!
    2016 Ranger Z518
    2018 Ranger Z518
    2019 Ranger RT198P, 150 Pro 4s, Dual Blades

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamarig06 View Post
    The 150 was fine on that hull. Not a fast rig by any means. With 2 people and bass pro shops in the boat I saw 58 mph consistently. I did have an 8 inch plate on the boat as well. If you can afford the 200 Merc, I’d do it!
    Sweet, thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go with the 150, cruise at 45-50 easy is good enough for the girls I go with. The 518 is already sort of pushing my comfortable budget. That is unless the dealer is able to give me heck of a deal or I find a sugar momma.

Does anyone know if the salute the troops promotion will still be available in January?

10. Member
    I'll not have another boat without the boarding ladder and grab pole up front and a boarding ladder with grab handle in the back. If you're older and or you mentioned taking others those ladders are REAL nice! The hot foot and blinker trim are not really necessary with a 150 on that boat. If I were getting a 200 then yes I'd want those things. Did you list some sort of Merc Monitor?

Is the spare tire optional? They can get pricey.

11. Member
    Get the 200 and don't look back. The 50 extra ponies really wakes up that hull.

Two things I would have got if I had known better is, paint over the road armor, and tube inserts removed from port rod locker. If you carry a lot of rods and use the center for baits and stuff, delete the tubes. The road armor is tough to keep looking good if your into keeping the rig looking nice. A third cleat at the throttle, or passenger side, in the middle, or both is also handy.
    2019 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I'll not have another boat without the boarding ladder and grab pole up front and a boarding ladder with grab handle in the back. If you're older and or you mentioned taking others those ladders are REAL nice! The hot foot and blinker trim are not really necessary with a 150 on that boat. If I were getting a 200 then yes I'd want those things. Did you list some sort of Merc Monitor?

Is the spare tire optional? They can get pricey.
    Has a boarding ladder on the boat as standard and spare tire comes with it. I had planned on getting a boarding step on the trailer and adding that myself. Had planned on getting the bluetooth mercury monitor. That'd help me see when the motor is warmed up and for maintenance/break in schedule.

I'll look at getting the trailer painted over the finish.

I only saw an option for that mid-cleat on the Nitros.

Thanks for all the input! Still thinking about the 200 HP motor though. $3000 more is quite a bit when I was at the limit of what I was comfortable spending already.

Are the oxygenators worth it? Nobody's mentioned those yet.

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Oxygenators probably not worth it.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Oxygenators probably not worth it.
    I agree. But the 200 motor would be worth the 3K to me.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

16. Member
    If you’re gonna go with the 150 why not get the Z185? Just curious as the layout is very similar. I’d also delete the port side rod tubes. Either way congrats on your new boat adventure

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I agree. But the 200 motor would be worth the 3K to me.
    This is absolutely not meant to be negative, and I prayed for him and his family. However, if there are any major life problems, I want to be able to weather the storm and not be in this person's shoes. I have a rule in life, with few exceptions, "If I can't afford 2, I don't buy one". Poor guy is selling a $94k boat for near half price.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1001962

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    If you’re gonna go with the 150 why not get the Z185? Just curious as the layout is very similar. I’d also delete the port side rod tubes. Either way congrats on your new boat adventure
    The 518 has a package that is about $3k, with best I can tell about $7k list price in equipment. i-Pilot trolling motor, 2 9" TI2's, basically everything in the build above is included. The Z185 configured as close to identical as the 518 tournament package is within a margin of error, the same price.

19. Member
    Gotcha. I was unaware of that. Just by looking at boats for sale the price seems quite a bit lower. Though not optioned the same

20. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Going back to your original post. If your going to beat the hell out of a Tracker you'll be getting the second on sooner than ten years.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast