Thread: Fluoro damage

Fluoro damage

Like everyone, I check for nicks and scrapes regularly near the terminal end when I fish. This past season, I had a moderate backlash and then had two break offs on casts until I realized the line may be trashed. I did not really see anything but also did not micro examine the line. How do you guys decide to replace the line in a situation like this? Could it be that I just had a bad batch? It was FC sniper 12 lb.

2. Member
    If I backlash bad enough to kink the line I replace it I've casted off enough lures.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Yep, same here. FC is reputed to be damaged by stretching when you hang up and try to break it off, so the usual recommendation is to cut off 6' or even more, from where it broke. That offends my frugal side. I've had FC on three rods and changed one to P-Line CXX copolymer and will soon change another over. The third has Tatsu on it, so that'll be the last to go, but I'm not buying anymore FC. To be fair, kinking copolymer line is also not a good thing. I've found it just leads to more backlashes, so I'll change it out ASAP.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    if you kink it it will break

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    ...... Could it be that I just had a bad batch? It was FC sniper 12 lb.
    Why is everyone's first thought,"It's a bad batch". I've never seen a bad spool of fresh line. Fluorocarbon isn't mono and doesn't handle like it on the reel or the cast.

If you get a backlash that is more than just loose line but that comes to a stop it is probably damaged, when one loop forms as another is going the other way through the loop this is the pinch as mentioned above
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Yep, I don't care what brand of flouro you use, if you have a bad enough backlash to heavily kink / stop the lure in mid air its a weak point in the line. Either pull off enough to cut off that point or respool.

8. Member
    Quit using flouro. Problem solved.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Quit using flouro. Problem solved.
    Braid and co-poly will do it too (one's i've tried anyway). Not sure about mono. What do you suggest that won't leave a weak spot after a kink on a nasty backlash: besides get better at casting?
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    Braid and co-poly will do it too (one's i've tried anyway). Not sure about mono. What do you suggest that won't leave a weak spot after a kink on a nasty backlash: besides get better at casting?
    If you kink the line from a backlash, or any other reason, you have created a weak point that will break. The only way to avoid this is to stop backlashing. Once the line is stressed or kinked you should replace it or get used to loosing lures.

Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    I've been using Izorline Platinum copolymer for nearly 20 years. I have never had a problem with the line breaking and loosing lures after a backlash. With a backlash, it's important to get it out carefully to minimize the line kinking. But, some kinking is inevitable. But, I've never had an issue continuing to use the line for weeks afterwards with no line breakage and lost lures.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Same here. I've never had a problem with copolymer (silver thread) or braid weakening with kinking, in 50+ years. Only with floro. Floro is brittle. It can't be kinked or stretched quickly. It actually stretches more than mono if stretched slowly, but will break easily of stretched too quickly, like a quick hook set. The higher the lb test, the more brittle floro is.

13. Member
    I have only has issues with line breaking from kinks with floro. much less with mono and never with braid.

And thus, many good reasons to not use FC!

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

15. Member
    +1 Dont use FC --- My son swears by the stuff, cant count how many times he has line issues and breakage with that crap
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max