Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The big difference is in the level of detail and how close to the bottom I can see. What I am seeing is that what I have been thinking are schools of bait in open water are often actually schools of crappie or occasionally bass. It "sees" closer to the bottom than the Edge 10 degree. Not a huge amount but better. The usefullness of that is huge. It is that close over the range of view. not just a spot under directly under the boat. The payoff comes when dealing with irregular features and steep banks, piers, and docks.
    Wasnt chirp 2d supposed to help in this case?

2. Member
    The payoff comes when dealing with irregular features and steep banks, piers, and docks.

Leonard are you saying it eliminates to minimizes dead band along steep banks etc...thanks

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Brody..if 2D transducer has a narrow cone angle it has less dead band

4. Member
    ∆ Thats one hell of a setup
    Thanks Brody it is a bit over the top. Decided when I bought this boat would rig it to fit "all" my fishing styles. The journey has been fun and educational. The comparisons of different transducers and units on the same bottom I find very educational....one of those bucket list items. Pretty much set now how I like it. Not much changing planned works awesome

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Leonard are you saying it eliminates to minimizes dead band along steep banks etc...thanks
    I won't say eliminates it. There's always some dead area with irregular features, but it is clearly superior to anything else.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    It's a relative matter. 2d chirping around 20 degrees beats 2d-20 degrees without chirp. 10 degrees without chirp, beats 20 degrees chirp, quite a bit. I've run the Vexilar Edge 400 kHz-10 degree side by side against several chirp transducers. Edge wins. But then switch to GT10 that chirps 130-300 kHz, 7-16 degrees. Now that's some competition. Edge still wins by a hair down to 100 ft. Below that GT10 wins hands down. It's hard for the Edge to compete there against 500 watts.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 12-01-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Hmmm [QUOTE=Treeguyus;10685240]No question the PS 30 for my fishing clearly the overall choice. I fish walleyes, lake trout. Certain applications HB's mega side imaging is a plus viewing the weed edge, dips and cups in the weed edges and the PS 30 will show fish suspended on the deep side. I don't have live scope, so my question is this how would it work on suspended fish 30-50 down over 100' of water, lake trout, walleye and crappie compared to the PS-30

Livescope works fine on suspended fish at 50’ if you have the patience to keep them on your screen. The crappie at one of the lakes I fish suspend at 45-50 ft in 65 ft of water along a steep river channel and some old submerged concrete structures. I use Livescope in forward for the deep fish. The Down on Livescope is hard to track fish/lures at depth compared to the 30. I initially find the fish with down/ side/ ps30. I then track the fish with a 30 and/or 31 and figure out the bite with the Livescope. I think you might be limited with your 10” screen though. At least with smaller baits and fish like crappie. If you ever get Livescope, PM me and I’ll give you a work around for that 10” screen in deep water.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

8. Member
    It's a relative matter. 2d chirping around 20 degrees beats 2d-20 degrees without chirp. 10 degrees without chirp, beats 20 degrees chirp, quite a bit. I've run the Vexilar Edge 400 kHz-10 degree side by side against several chirp transducers. Edge wins. But then switch to GT10 that chirps 130-300 kHz, 7-16 degrees. Now that's some competition. Edge still wins by a hair down to 100 ft. Below that GT10 wins hands down. It's hard for the Edge to compete there against 500 watts.
    How did you find fish with a 10° cone before Panoptix, cruise around until they showed up?

I couldnt imagine using that narrow a beam to find fish on unknown waters. Ive fished lakes in Canada similar to your lake, and using 10° cone would take forever.

9. Member
    How did you find fish with a 10° cone before Panoptix, cruise around until they showed up?

I couldnt imagine using that narrow a beam to find fish on unknown waters. Ive fished lakes in Canada similar to your lake, and using 10° cone would take forever.
    That is what I like about the Edge or any unit with two transducers networked together. One wide and the other narrow, wide to scan a wider area narrow to pinpoint. Find this a incredible tool for fish suspended. Wide cone angle shows more fish in the water column and the narrow gets me closer to pin point "real depth" they are suspended at
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 12-02-2019 at 04:24 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    That is what I like about the Edge or any unit with two transducers networked together. One wide and the other narrow, wide to scan a wider area narrow to pinpoint. Find this a incredible tool for fish suspended. Wide cone angle shows more fish in the water column and the narrow gets me closer to pin point "real depth" they are suspended at
    Sounds a lot like using Sideview and/or a Ps30 as the wide and Livescope as the narrow to pinpoint. Just sayin............
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

For me the LS is awesome for finding brush piles.

12. Banned
    Looks like some of you have been using garmin for a long time. If that was the only SI a person owned livescope is a winner hands down.

The mega though is another animal altogether. I use it all the time to check for fish in piles without having to ride directly over them.

i'd give up di first. losing si is never an option.

14. Member
    If there was a LiveScope 180, similar to the PS30 but detailed and without the dead area at the top, I could easily do without SI.

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Guess what!

If there was a LiveScope 180, similar to the PS30 but detailed and without the dead area at the top, I could easily do without SI.
    have fun scanning large areas. It’s just not possible.

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have to disagree on the scanning I throw the ultrex on high and use my all aboard mount to scan left and right .I can find stuff way out in front of me and not run over it and spook the fish .Cant do that with side scan .Guys have to learn how to adapt to a better system!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I have to disagree on the scanning I throw the ultrex on high and use my all aboard mount to scan left and right .I can find stuff way out in front of me and not run over it and spook the fish .Cant do that with side scan .Guys have to learn how to adapt to a better system!
    try that on a new large lake

19. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have I pick coves or areas that have channel swings or docks and scan them .I can also idle the big motor for a little faster search.I have done this many times with my partner steering .Once I see fish we stop and hit that spot.To me it a lot more efficient than trying to see the side scan and guessing if that is fish or not and having to turn around and go find that spot.Like I said think out side the box and learn something new

20. Member
    lol ok TOC, i’ll learn something new

Calm down, its only fishing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast