Savage vs Browing

Considering a Browning Hell’s Canyon or a Savage 110 Storm or Long Range. Anyone with experience with both?

2. Member
    Can't help you with experience on either, although I do own 2 Browning X bolts. and this year for my sons HS Graduation I plan on buying him a Hells Canyon X bolt in either .270 or .30-06. I have always liked the detachable magazine on the X bolts and the 60degree bolt rotation, makes engaging another round quick and easy.

We looked at the HC x bolt at Cabelas in Bristol VA. Very nice fit and finish, the cerekote fluted barrell finish and DuraTouch camo is another plus. I guess my vote goes to the Browning.

I have a Browning Western hunter in 6.5cm. great shooting rifle.
    The savage 110 high country is a sharp looking rifle.

The x bolt platform is great, I’d call it my favorite it it had a model 70 style safety,but the balance and finish of the hells canyon is approaching custom rifle level, Savage makes a good rifle but I’d go with the hells canyon if you are thinking long term use.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    The x bolt platform is great, I’d call it my favorite it it had a model 70 style safety,but the balance and finish of the hells canyon is approaching custom rifle level, Savage makes a good rifle but I’d go with the hells canyon if you are thinking long term use.
    Ordered the Hell’s Canyon Long Range yesterday in .300 Win Mag. Looking at a 3 to 4 month wait to get it. I’m in no hurry but looking forward to getting it.

I looked hard at the Tikka t3x, Christensen Arms Mesa, and the X bolt hells canyon. I ended up picking up a Hell's Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready in 300 win mag a couple weeks ago and started the process on a new Dead Air Nomad suppressor. Gonna be my light weight, long range hunting rifle. Haven't scoped it or shot it yet but love the way it feels and looks.

Quote Originally Posted by scandalusyandellus View Post
    I looked hard at the Tikka t3x, Christensen Arms Mesa, and the X bolt hells canyon. I ended up picking up a Hell's Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready in 300 win mag a couple weeks ago and started the process on a new Dead Air Nomad suppressor. Gonna be my light weight, long range hunting rifle. Haven't scoped it or shot it yet but love the way it feels and looks.
    Congrats on the rifle! Sounds sweet. Post up some pics.

Maybe this will work, haven't posted a picture on this site in a while. Trying to decide on a scope now. Looking at zeiss and Leupold to stay light weight.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scandalusyandellus; 12-16-2019 at 11:03 AM.

9. Member
    Maybe this will work, haven't posted a picture on this site in a while. Trying to decide on a scope now. Looking at zeiss and Leupold to stay light weight.
    Nice! Now I have rifle envy ( once again). You may as well go all in and get the Zeiss. Money is no object, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Nice! Now I have rifle envy ( once again). You may as well go all in and get the Zeiss. Money is no object, right?
    To an extent it's not but I'd like to stay under 1500 on a scope for this gun. Leaning towards the Zeiss. It's cheaper than the Leupold vx6 I'm looking at, it has the reticle I like at a cheaper price, and it's supposed to track well for longer range shots. Both are supposed to be great in low light, both have good glass, both have good warranties. I think the Leupold is overall a better scope but they want quite a bit more for one with a TMOA reticle. It will probably come down to what kind of deal I can find.

Why did you put a different muzzle break on it?

12. Member
    To an extent it's not but I'd like to stay under 1500 on a scope for this gun. Leaning towards the Zeiss. It's cheaper than the Leupold vx6 I'm looking at, it has the reticle I like at a cheaper price, and it's supposed to track well for longer range shots. Both are supposed to be great in low light, both have good glass, both have good warranties. I think the Leupold is overall a better scope but they want quite a bit more for one with a TMOA reticle. It will probably come down to what kind of deal I can find.
    I'm not a long range shooter but it sounds like a fun way to spend time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Why did you put a different muzzle break on it?
    No reason other than I already had it and it will tame the recoil more than the factory break. It's light weight titanium and works great on other rifles I have. When the NFA releases my suppressor to me, it'll be going on there.

14. Member
    No reason other than I already had it and it will tame the recoil more than the factory break. It's light weight titanium and works great on other rifles I have. When the NFA releases my suppressor to me, it'll be going on there.
    If you don't mind me asking, approx how much does it cost to buy a suppressor with paperwork these days?

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, approx how much does it cost to buy a suppressor with paperwork these days?
    Its 200 for a tax stamp and another 40 or so for the paperwork. Then you have the cost of the suppressor itself. 700 for the one I just ordered. Once that is done, you wait, and wait, and wait, etc.... My last one took about a year to get through with background checks and i have nothing on my record at all.