Shimano calcutta TE 200DC

I've got a question on the reel, the reel still makes the DC whine but the sound is very quiet. Any help on the issue, thanks?

2. Member
    What is the issue, the whine?

3. Member
    Yes, the whine seems to quiet down a bit with age. Works fine for a 12 year old reel.

4. Member
    So long as the reel is still smooth and casting well I would not care about the whine. Remember you are 12 years older also so maybe your ears are not hearing that whine as good as they used to.

One of my favorite reels. If you still get charging noise on all settings the DC unit is still operating correctly, though this reel can use a service if its never been done. Everything internally is dried out for sure after 12 years. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

6. Member
    It might be even older than that. I think the Calcutta TE 200 DC came out in 2004. Mine might even be a bit older than 12 years old. You don't count when something works so well year after year.

7. Member
    I have a Calcutta Conquest 200 DC that I put away to be cleaned several years ago. I loved that reel and need to get it out and sent off for a good cleaning.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the help y’all, I serviced it myself and the grease inside was black and covered in sand. Cleaned it all up and re-greased it and it my favorite reel. I found it for $60 so I took the chance and I am glad I did. The thing casts further than any other reel I have ever owned. I a 16 y/o highschool angler so I hope it’s the dc whine and not my ears! Thanks again

9. Member
    $60 for that reel is a good price. Good luck with your high school fishing. I forget that everyone on here isn't over sixty.

10. Moderator
    I used the 200 DC, for deep-cranking, for some time and there are 2 things that I know about this reel...1. A larger 250 DC handle was invaluable in regards to comfort and making it feel like a "grown-up reel." I personally cannot stand the 80mm Shimano handles.2. This reel has the potential to need a "charge." ReelEx can likely comment on this.....When I would go many months without using the reel, the DC would lose its "charge" and quit whining...the more you use it, the healthier the DC system would act. I sent my in to Shimano to be serviced twice. If you do this, the reel will likely come back, mechanically, like new.
    Steve

11. Member
    Like Steve said, after putting it down for a while or for the first cast of the day, you have to be careful because the braking system does not work (no whine). The dynamo has to work a bit to generate enough electricity to charge the reel. I make a short first cast using a lot of thumb pressure and then it's ok. I use it for spinnerbaiting in the wind for smallmouth. It's the best reel I've used for that. I get great distance. And yes, the handles are kinda short.