Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any 1880 owners regret their decision

Hey guys, I going to be ordering a boat probably early January, I’m trying to decide on a 1880 with a 115hp, or 1980 with 150hp, I really like they layout on the 1880 and the boat is plenty big enough for me, I fish for fun most of the time, a few weekend tournaments every now and then. I know with the 1980 it’s going to be probably 7 or 8 mph faster than the 1880. But I’m trying to figure out will it be worth $5000 more to get 1980 equipped the same on both boats, so basically a foot longer and a little faster. Thanks

2. Member
    I have 1880 with Etec 135. And I get 55 mph out of it. Rides great and plenty big for me. I didn’t see the benefits of another 12” of bout for 15 more HP and a couple mph faster. So to answer your question I have no regrets.

I looked at both at my local dealer today. I didn't get in and crawl around to compare them. But, I fished out of a 1980 a couple days last spring. After looking at the 1880 today, I think an 1880 would do just fine for many folks. It's a tad shorter, but it doesn't look like its much smaller inside.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I was between an 1880 and 1980 also. I spent a couple of hours at the dealership checking out both models. I really wanted the 1980 but I had a hard time justifying the extra 5 grand. Ended up going with the 1880 and I love it! The cooler up front and the 2nd rod locker in the 1980 would have been nice but I have no regrets about choosing the 1880 with the 115 pro XS.

5. Member
    I just ordered my 1880 a week ago. It's plenty big enough for what you are going to do, which is basically what I do. I picked the 135HO. You can save some cash on the boat and invest it it better electronics or a trolling motor.
    I really think I made a great choice.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

6. Member
    LOVE my 1880.....LOVE. Before cancer struck I fished a lot by myself so was perfect....the cooler would have been nice but hasn't been a biggie. Holds more than enough fishing stuff and rods....rides amazing...it's purty and did I say I LOVE it. And my gas bill was next to nothing.
    Good luck

7. Member
    Very happy 1880 merc 115 getting about 48mph only regret was not getting the etec 135 but other than couldn't better better

8. Member
    No regrets on my 1880. I saved enough for some nice graphs, and I use the box behind the driver as a cooler. This whole thing has worked out better than expected, had it in some big water that got rough, no problem getting back to the dock with the 135 with 3 fairly big guys in it.

9. Member
    LOVE my 1880, beautiful boat, roomy as can be. After having this boat for 3 months there are a few things I would change here and there but over all great boat. That mph on those ETEC's sound awesome!!
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

10. Member
    My regret, not getting the MEGA or i-link Ultrex instead of US2. Bought Garmins for the boat. Gonna go back to Humminbird

11. Member
    I really wanted the 1980 or even the 2080 as I was coming out of a 22' center console Skeeter Bay Boat. I wanted a boat that fit in my garage at home as I was tired of my boat being stored elsewhere. I settled on the 1880 with Pro XS 115 as the 1980 wouldn't not fit in my garage without kicking my wife's Yukon out of the garage. I have no regrets, love the boat. I get 51 mph top end with the 115 Pro XS and I don't think I would really notice the additional foot of the 1980. Great boat

12. Member
    Thanks guys for all the good information, I’m most likely going to be ordering a 1880 with Mercury 115 pro xs, I would like the Evinrude etec 135hp, but they are no servicing dealer close to my neck of the woods except the dealer I would be ordering from which is about a 3 hour drive, all Mercury, Yamaha and some Honda’s where I live.

13. Member
    A little update. Part of me wish I gotten the 135. I'm not impressed with my new Mercury 115 at the moment. When I first got it, I found a loose bolt that I had to find a home for. Then soon afterwards, I found it leaky some sort of fluids, to find out it's oil. My boat has been in the shop for 1 month now. The shop replaced the drain plug bc that's where it was coming from. Well, it's still leaking and now they are waiting for Mercury to respond.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    A little update. Part of me wish I gotten the 135. I'm not impressed with my new Mercury 115 at the moment. When I first got it, I found a loose bolt that I had to find a home for. Then soon afterwards, I found it leaky some sort of fluids, to find out it's oil. My boat has been in the shop for 1 month now. The shop replaced the drain plug bc that's where it was coming from. Well, it's still leaking and now they are waiting for Mercury to respond.
    Mercury will take care of you, I am certain on that. My first motor on my 1980 had some excessive wear during break in (10.5 hours on motor), the dealer called Mercury and told them what they seen in the oil. Well long story short they replaced the entire unit and Mercury and North Texas Marine handled the issue promptly and I only waited about 2 weeks in total.

15. Member
    Has to be tough waiting for new to be fixed...best of luck to ya. I kind of feel your pain in that I got a new Vexus and now I can't personally take it anywhere because I just had almost sixty stitches in my head and was told could be a couple months before I may be able to drive. Have had the boat since late summer and it hasn't been used nearly enough!!
    Good luck

16. Member
    I traveled almost 5 hours for my 135HO with a Merc dealer 45 mins away
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

17. Member
    just got a new Avx1880 i am breaking it in right now i GPS at 49.8 I was shocked at what it will do . every thing about the boat is great . i have 2 9 inch garmins love them and a Minn Kota spot lock . I would recommend this AVX to any one

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill adams View Post
    just got a new Avx1880 i am breaking it in right now i GPS at 49.8 I was shocked at what it will do . every thing about the boat is great . i have 2 9 inch garmins love them and a Minn Kota spot lock . I would recommend this AVX to any one
    congrats! Which motor?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill adams View Post
    Congrats!! I have had mine since August and I enjoy every minute of my outings on it.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

20. Member
    115 merc XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast