Rod for pads/big topwater?

Hey ladies and gents, I was looking fora reccomendation on a rod to throw frogs across big Lily pad/cat tail fields, and also throw big topwater/wake baits like the Whopper plopper 130, size 40 bbz rat, things like that. I currently use a 7'6 xh rated at 3/8- 2 oz. I feel like dropping down to a 7'3 or so would really help with walking these baits, but I like the hookup power of the 7'6 when your 30-40 yards into a pad field. Lemme know if you have any reccomendation, thanks a bunch. No price range, open to whatever.

2. Member
    I'm liking the ALX Toadface.

3. Member
    I use a kistler helium 3 7-3" heavy for frogs and 130 ploppers. It makes a good jig and big worm rod too

4. Member
    Probably way under your price point but I love the rod. It’s a Lews Carbon Fire 7’3” heavy. It’s rated for up to an ounce but it’s what I use for the 130 WP and frog fishing slop/pads. Just a suggestion since you can pick one up for about $50 right now

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I'm liking the ALX Toadface.
    This is sound advice. Frankly I haven't found a technique I don't prefer this rod for.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzebacks View Post
    I use a kistler helium 3 7-3" heavy for frogs and 130 ploppers. It makes a good jig and big worm rod too
    I like this rod as well. Handles 95% of my frog duty and will handle the 130 great. For my remaining 5%, I am throwing a meat stick that does not have ideal action or length.

I'd agree that a 7'3 rod will make working the frog a bit easier but you give up a bit of leverage with a shorter rod.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

7. Member
    Thanks guys I will take a look at some of the suggestions. To further add to this I do actually use a alx toadface for my "normal" frog work. (Skipping em, working open holes in pads, along weededges.) I feel like the tip is just a touch too soft for slamming frogs way back in the reeds/milfoil. My 7'6xh I'm using is the alx zolo brawler. I actually have emailed Alex about his thoughts on this subject, just waiting to here back from him, which is no big deal as all my lakes are iced over. Just wanted to see if anyone had other suggestions as well! Always open to more
    Last edited by Hollopoint94; 11-30-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added more.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    Thanks guys I will take a look at some of the suggestions. To further add to this I do actually use a alx toadface for my "normal" frog work. (Skipping em, working open holes in pads, along weededges.) I feel like the tip is just a touch too soft for slamming frogs way back in the reeds/milfoil. My 7'6xh I'm using is the alx zolo brawler. I actually have emailed Alex about his thoughts on this subject, just waiting to here back from him, which is no big deal as all my lakes are iced over. Just wanted to see if anyone had other suggestions as well! Always open to more
    See you next weekend for a little ice fishing

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1029 View Post
    See you next weekend for a little ice fishing
    Ya buddy! Ice is still a little thin and dirty but definitely enough to walk on, been out a few times already

10. Member
    The Daiwa Tatula and Tatula Elite AGS 7’4” frog rod may be something to look at. I use my Toadface for open and medium cover, and break out the Tatula for the nasty heavy stuff.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    The Daiwa Tatula and Tatula Elite AGS 7’4” frog rod may be something to look at. I use my Toadface for open and medium cover, and break out the Tatula for the nasty heavy stuff.
    That one was on my looky list. Have you used the 7'9 version? How are the ags guides holding up?

12. Member
    It’s definitely worth a look. I have not used the 7’9 frog rod. I have owned/own several rods with AGS guides and have 0 issues personally.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

13. Member
    I have the original tatula 7'4 frog rod and absolutely love it in the nasty slop and pads.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

14. Member
    Another vote for the ags frog rod. No issues on any of my ags rods

15. Member
    ags frog rod is an amazing jig rod also.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

16. Member
    Thanks for all the help guys! I actually went for a daiwa blx 74mhrb for my mag topwaters/ wakebaits. Thanks to Gary and the boys from the tackle trap for reccomendation, and all you fellas as well!