Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clarification on Mega 360 set up

I have an Ultrex on the bow with a US2 transducer running to a Helix 10 Chirp GPS G3N. It's my understanding that I will need to upgrade to a Helix 10 Chirp MDI G3N if I'm planning on getting the Mega 360. Since a Y cable cannot be used to continue to utilize the US2 transducer will I be able to keep the Helix 10 Chirp GPS G3N for the US2 transducer and run along with the 360 tied to the MDI G3N unit or will the frequencies interfere?

Yes, you need a DI+ or SI+ Helix to run the MEGA 360.

Your CHIRP G3N has HW CHIRP as the standard 2D frequency, to use the US2 you have to downgrade the unit to the 83/200 kHz setting.

Put the DI+ transducer on the trolling motor, get the Helix 360 Y cable and connect both the MEGA 360 and DI+ transducer to the Y cable. Connect both bow units via Etherent and share all sonar functions between them. Do not connect the US2, turn Sonar OFF on the CHIRP unit.

If you get the Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N CHO, then you can keep your US2 connection for the CHIRP sonar unit and run the MEGA 360 with the DI+ CHO with the included cables and won't have any cross talk since there will be no 2D sonar source for the MEGA DI+ unit.

You would only need another transducer connected to the DI+ unit if you want a depth readout on the 360 view. It will work fine without it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thank you Wayne.

4. Member
    Wayne, one more question. Would I be able to get the old 360 and utilize the existing Helix 10 Chirp GPS G3N and still use the sonar without buying a new head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Livingstonkid View Post
    Wayne, one more question. Would I be able to get the old 360 and utilize the existing Helix 10 Chirp GPS G3N and still use the sonar without buying a new head unit?
    Yes, the current 360 is an Ethernet accessory not a transducer connection like the MEGA 360.

You would still have to change the default 2D setting to 83/200 kHz to match the US2 transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Your awesome, thank you for all you do.

Wayne - have you heard anything about what is included with Mega 360? I was reading the owners manual for mega 360 and it seems that you have buy a heading sensor separately. My old boat had 36O and it came with a heading sensor just like the HS that comes with the Ultrex I-Pilot link. This quote is from the owners manual for the Mega 360:

Accessories: Additional recommended accessories include a Heading Sensor GPS Puck, a Heading Sensor GPS Adapter (SOLIX only), and transducer extension cables. For the most current list of compatible accessories, visit our Web site at humminbird.com.

so I guess I need to buy a separate heading sensor for the Mega 360. if I already have a heading sensor installed for the Ultrex I-Pilot Link which is networked with Helix G3N units will that suffice?
    Chris Hoffman
    Londonderry, NH

2022 SKEETER FXR20 APEX w/ 250hp SHO
    1x APEX 13 MSI+, 1x Solix 12 chirp MSI+ G3, 1x Solix 15 chirp MSI+ G3. AS GPS HS, Mega 360 Imaging. MK Ultrex MDI w/ iPilot link, MegaLive with Targetlock and 8’ MK
    Raptors and Ionic Lithium Batteries

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>.·´¯`·. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸. ·´ ¯`·...><(((º>

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoffaFXR20 View Post
    Wayne - have you heard anything about what is included with Mega 360? I was reading the owners manual for mega 360 and it seems that you have buy a heading sensor separately. My old boat had 36O and it came with a heading sensor just like the HS that comes with the Ultrex I-Pilot link. This quote is from the owners manual for the Mega 360:

Accessories: Additional recommended accessories include a Heading Sensor GPS Puck, a Heading Sensor GPS Adapter (SOLIX only), and transducer extension cables. For the most current list of compatible accessories, visit our Web site at humminbird.com.

so I guess I need to buy a separate heading sensor for the Mega 360. if I already have a heading sensor installed for the Ultrex I-Pilot Link which is networked with Helix G3N units will that suffice?
    Where are you finding the Owners Manual for the Mega 360?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    Where are you finding the Owners Manual for the Mega 360?
    About 1/2 way down this page to the left is a link to an installation manual .... it is listed under an "owner manual" heading.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...maging-fortrex
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by HoffaFXR20 View Post

You can use the Humminbird AS GPS HS or Minnkota Heading Sensor with iPilot LINK for marking and viewing waypoints on the 360 view.

The Humminbird Heading/GPS antenna is connected directly to a display and the Minnkota Heading Sensor/iPilot is shared via Ethernet.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    About 1/2 way down this page to the left is a link to an installation manual .... it is listed under an "owner manual" heading.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...maging-fortrex
    Thanks Bob, I guess I’m looking for a Operators Manual. I think it’ll be out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You can use the Humminbird AS GPS HS or Minnkota Heading Sensor with iPilot LINK for marking and viewing waypoints on the 360 view.

The Humminbird Heading/GPS antenna is connected directly to a display and the Minnkota Heading Sensor/iPilot is shared via Ethernet.
    Thanks Wayne!
    Chris Hoffman
    Londonderry, NH

2022 SKEETER FXR20 APEX w/ 250hp SHO
    1x APEX 13 MSI+, 1x Solix 12 chirp MSI+ G3, 1x Solix 15 chirp MSI+ G3. AS GPS HS, Mega 360 Imaging. MK Ultrex MDI w/ iPilot link, MegaLive with Targetlock and 8’ MK
    Raptors and Ionic Lithium Batteries

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>.·´¯`·. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸. ·´ ¯`·...><(((º>

13. Member
    if you have the ultrex with mega built in, is that compatable with the y cable and mega 360?

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    if you have the ultrex with mega built in, is that compatable with the y cable and mega 360?
    The MEGA 360 is a transducer connection and does 360 and Side Imaging all by itself.

If you want a depth reading on the 360 view, you have to add another transducer and Y cable. There is no "compatible" about it, just an additional sonar source. That can be the Minnkota MDI transducer, a MDI+ transducer, or a MSI+ transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

But the y cable effectively renders the SI component of the MSI+ transducer useless, correct?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    But the y cable effectively renders the SI component of the MSI+ transducer useless, correct?
    That’s the current info that’s out as of today, however I’m being told the HB will be coming out with a “New special y cable” that will allow for full use of the Mega 360 & the SI Tducer.
    I guess We won’t know for sure until it happens but it sure makes it hard to plan.

Why would you want to use bow SI if you had a 360 on the bow?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Why would you want to use bow SI if you had a 360 on the bow?
    I currently run one unit and my SI Tducer is not on the bow. I search with SI and I fish with 360.
    When I get my Mega 360 set up I want to be able to easily switch between the two as I do now. I know I’ll be able to use the Mega 360 for SI but no one knows if the image quality will be equal to the XM9 HW MSI T or I’ll till get the range of Mega+
    We’ll have those answers soon, I hope.

19. Member
    Jumping in on this topic...

I am currently running an Ultrex and have a Helix 10 G2N at the bow (2D and GPS only). The bow helix is ethernet connect to my two Helix 12s at the dash (1- MSI G4N & 1- G2N SI). I'm in the process of buying a Mega 360 and another helix 12 MDI CHO for the bow along with the adapter needed. My question is will I need another transducer for the 10" helix to still provide 2D, water temp, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo55 View Post
    Jumping in on this topic...

I am currently running an Ultrex and have a Helix 10 G2N at the bow (2D and GPS only). The bow helix is ethernet connect to my two Helix 12s at the dash (1- MSI G4N & 1- G2N SI). I'm in the process of buying a Mega 360 and another helix 12 MDI CHO for the bow along with the adapter needed. My question is will I need another transducer for the 10" helix to still provide 2D, water temp, etc.?
    You should get a Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N with its transducer and put that transducer on the trolling motor, no transducer for the Helix 10==turn Sonar OFF.
    Connect the MDI+ transducer and the MEGA 360 to the G4N unit via the 9 M360 2DDI Y cable.
    Share data to the Helix 10 from the bow Helix 12 via Ethernet.

That way the 2D/DI/MEGA 360 will be pinged in a sequence so cross-talk can't happen.
    AND you will have HW CHIRP at the bow.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast