Question 2012 Merc 4 stroke 150

Merc 150 4 stroke 1B941604 any one know if the drain plug and the vent screw are the same thread?? Hard to get the vent screw out without damaging the slotted plug and the drain plug has a hex head would like to use a hex on the vent instead. TIA.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it's that hard to get it out, it's been over-tightened.

I believe the thread size/pitch is the same, but the hex drain plug is nearly TWICE as long as the vent plug.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If it's that hard to get it out, it's been over-tightened.

I believe the thread size/pitch is the same, but the hex drain plug is nearly TWICE as long as the vent plug.
    Yes it is that doesn't bother me it the vent plug is too hard to get out and I don't have the confidence that it is in tight enough, I had a socket that I had ground down to fit the slot better but lost it, so if it's the same i will get the hex head,, Thanks for your response, you are always giving very good info on here everyone appreciates it very much, especially when shops are few and far between in places, Have a Merry Christmas be safe and again thanks for your help

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would absolutely NOT install a HEX drain plug in the side of the gearcase. Not only is it too long, the protruding hex head will cause disturbances in the water flow across the gearcase (likely resulting in cavitation and/or the potential for blowout). NOT something you want to be doing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ok thank you for the info so is there a tool for this vent plug a screw driver does not fit and just causes problems.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A screw driver DOES fit the vent plug. You need a LARGE screwdriver, however (doesn't have to be Snap-On, Mac or Cornwell, but high-quality is going to be important).

I've been using the same one for 20 years now... no idea how many drain plugs that is, but it's well into the thousands for sure.

7. Member
    Find the correct hollow ground screwdriver whether a bit or handled - problem solved.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax