Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    BIG difference in 2d between the 2

Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    maybe to get around the issue that there may be a lot of g2n’s out there still in the channel and this doesn’t technically cause a price conflict as it is a “special run” product.

in terms of transducer replacement if I need one I wonder how much it would cost if not within warranty. Guess it won’t be worst thing in world to revert back to normal g2n transducer depending on how stunning the low q is. Don’t find myself using 2d all that much anyways.
    MSRP of the MEGA SI is $350.
    MSRP of the MEGA SI+ is $400.

The H1020 is the same size as the MEGA SI+ and has the same HW piezo.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne...so pretty close in cost. Would assume that a direct replacement would be no more than $400. I’m often surprised though.

Dang I'm confused now that I have had the new unit out on the water. I'll start by saying I have a Helix 10 G2N Mega DI unit at the bow and I love it. 2D and DI are both perfect on the unit. I asked Wayne earlier in the week if the XP 9 20 thru hull transducer that I had with my 1199 would work on the Helix 10 G2N if I decided to buy one and he said it would. When we found out the unit was different that a regular G2N and had the different transducer I was then informed that it wouldn't work and that I would need an XP 9 HW instead. I had already wired it up with the splitter that was on my 1199 so I just left it to try.

When I got to the lake this afternoon I decided to put the boat on the lake and see what I had. The SI looked awesome. The 2D worked fine but I wasn't sure what 2D I was seeing. I got the boat up on plane and the 2D worked fine all the way to about 50mph just like it did with the 1199. Biggest problem was the DI looked awful. Basically could see nothing. It was nothing like the DI on the bow. I unplugged the XP 9 20 to see if anything changed and got no 2D at all. I am pretty sure those transducers have SI/DI/2D don't they?

I know that's a lot of info but that was the first run with it for about 30 minutes this evening. I'll be out all day tomorrow.

I really appreciate Wayne for trying to be such a help to all of us on this board with this!
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnerb8 View Post
    Dang I'm confused now that I have had the new unit out on the water. I'll start by saying I have a Helix 10 G2N Mega DI unit at the bow and I love it. 2D and DI are both perfect on the unit. I asked Wayne earlier in the week if the XP 9 20 thru hull transducer that I had with my 1199 would work on the Helix 10 G2N if I decided to buy one and he said it would. When we found out the unit was different that a regular G2N and had the different transducer I was then informed that it wouldn't work and that I would need an XP 9 HW instead. I had already wired it up with the splitter that was on my 1199 so I just left it to try.

When I got to the lake this afternoon I decided to put the boat on the lake and see what I had. The SI looked awesome. The 2D worked fine but I wasn't sure what 2D I was seeing. I got the boat up on plane and the 2D worked fine all the way to about 50mph just like it did with the 1199. Biggest problem was the DI looked awful. Basically could see nothing. It was nothing like the DI on the bow. I unplugged the XP 9 20 to see if anything changed and got no 2D at all. I am pretty sure those transducers have SI/DI/2D don't they?

I know that's a lot of info but that was the first run with it for about 30 minutes this evening. I'll be out all day tomorrow.

I really appreciate Wayne for trying to be such a help to all of us on this board with this!
    When you use a Y cable, the ONLY 2D you get is from the shoot-thru that is for 83/200 kHz. This is no connection for the HW piezo in the SI transducer so it is impossible to get 2D from it with that connection.
    Since 200 kHz within the HW frequency spectrum that will work OK, but not as good as a HW CHIRP rated piezo.

Just like with the 1100 series unit, Side Imaging and Temp will come from the SI transducer. BUT if you did not change the Y cable to match a MEGA SI unit, you have no DI since the AS SIDB Y cable does not have a circuit for the DI piezo. If you want DI to work, you need the current Y cable 9 M SIDB Y.
    Your 1199 does not have Down Imaging and got Down Imaging VIEWS via software blending the two SI pulses so the AS SIDB Y works with that unit, NOT the MEGA SI unit. The MEGA SI unit gets Down Imaging via a Down Imaging piezo in the SI transducer---gotta have a circuit for it.

If you want to get all functioning views for tomorrow, change the Connected Transducer setting to High Definition Side Imaging. Still will not be true DI.
    Bottom line is if you want your new unit to function properly, get a XP 9 HW shoot-thru transducer and a 9 M SIDB Y cable.
    BTW, you won't have the MEGA frequency with that setting, basically you will have another 1199.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 12-06-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Another thing if you want full use of the MEGA SI transducer including DI tomorrow, disconnect the Y cable and connect the SI transducer to the display.
    That gives you two choices to use on the water until you get the proper parts.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks Wayne, that helps a lot and makes sense. I didn't know there was a different Y cable that I needed to get. Just to clarify, in that post above, you are saying if I change the setting to High Definition Side Imaging I won't have the MEGA correct?

Thanks Wayne, that helps a lot and makes sense. I didn't know there was a different Y cable that I needed to get. Just to clarify, in that post above, you are saying if I change the setting to High Definition Side Imaging I won't have the MEGA correct?
    No, you will have a more modern 1199.
    High Definition Side Imaging is the standard transducer for a 1199.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    No, you will have a more modern 1199.
    High Definition Side Imaging is the standard transducer for a 1199.
    Thanks again. Just ordered the Y cable and the XP 9 HW. The price just keeps going up!

10. Member
    Spinnerb8 and Wayne, thanks for the info. Please let us know how the DI and 2D look tomorrow if you hook the new transducer up to the new unit without the Y splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Spinnerb8 and Wayne, thanks for the info. Please let us know how the DI and 2D look tomorrow if you hook the new transducer up to the new unit without the Y splitter.
    Will do. I plan on hooking it up without the splitter to check it out.

Seems like what is included is a standard G3N TD.

I have been using the G3N Si TD for months now and it works great on my G2N with 2.11 update.

You get the benifits of Dual Spectrum on 2d. You do not get + features on imaging tho.

Anyone have a link if they are still on special?

13. Member
    For those looking, Canelas got more of the Helix 10 in stock.

14. Member
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/home...9.uts?slotId=2

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Seems like what is included is a standard G3N TD.

I have been using the G3N Si TD for months now and it works great on my G2N with 2.11 update.

You get the benifits of Dual Spectrum on 2d. You do not get + features on imaging tho.

Anyone have a link if they are still on special?
    Mark it Zero!

15. Member
    ^^^ "Mark it zero". Don't get it.

Still in stock at Cabelas if anybody's interested

16. Member
    I have reviewed this thread in depth, but wanted to make sure of this due to a potential sale. Bought the Helix 9 G2N MegaSI last year, installed worked wonderfully, then saw the 10 this year and figured I could get it and swap the head units leaving the transducer in place (GIANT PITA to install with the transducer shield/saver). It seems as if the upgraded transducer is only compatible with this "new" G2N and wouldn't work with the existing 9 I have? I am asking only because I plan on selling the 9 and would hate to include the new transducer which may not be compatible with this unit. Any clarification on this would be appreciated!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    I have reviewed this thread in depth, but wanted to make sure of this due to a potential sale. Bought the Helix 9 G2N MegaSI last year, installed worked wonderfully, then saw the 10 this year and figured I could get it and swap the head units leaving the transducer in place (GIANT PITA to install with the transducer shield/saver). It seems as if the upgraded transducer is only compatible with this "new" G2N and wouldn't work with the existing 9 I have? I am asking only because I plan on selling the 9 and would hate to include the new transducer which may not be compatible with this unit. Any clarification on this would be appreciated!
    Read post #57.

Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    PM sent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Thank you both

20. Member
    granite sorry for the confusion regarding "mark it zero" signature.

No offense was meant towards you.

I will remove it.
    Last edited by JDP; 12-09-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Information
    Mark it Zero!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast