Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Could the standard G2 SI transducer be a substitute or would the loaded software on this version be a problem?
    Would have to check the Connected Transducer choices to see if MEGA Imaging is a selection. Only the ones that have the promo units would know.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Would have to check the Connected Transducer choices to see if MEGA Imaging is a selection. Only the ones that have the promo units would know.
    Mega Imaging is a selection option.

Quote Originally Posted by tiffytilly View Post
    Mega Imaging is a selection option.
    I just checked also and it is an option. So if these transducers were to break, we could use one of the transducers from the old G2N? Is this what I'm understanding? I'm pretty irritated by the whole thing. I feel like this should have been made known.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Checked list xdcr.
    default Connected xdcr H1012 HW MSI
    options Mega Imaging
    High Definition Side Imaging
    Compact Side Imaging
    HB 50/200 KHz+455KHz SI
    Built In HW+MDI
    DI 200/455
    DI 83/200
    DI 50/200
    High Wide Chirp
    HB 83/200
    HB 50/200
    Airmar Low Frequency
    Airmar Medium Frequency
    Airmar High Frequency
    Airmar 50/200
    Generic 83/200

Too much unknown about this unit that should have been disclosed. Probably return to BPS.

5. Member
    Just checked mine. It only has these as an option.
    default Connected xdcr H1012 HW MSI
    options Mega Imaging
    High Definition Side Imaging
    Compact Side Imaging
    Built In HW+MDI

6. Member
    When I connected my old High Definition Side Imaging xducer it did adjust the sonar settings I could choose. That was pretty cool.

7. Member
    MMmmm

Seems to be an interesting conumdrum.

I guess the next step would be to see if someone can get a XM9 HW MSI T (G3) transducer and connect it to one of these "special" units to see if it reconizes the transducer.

If it does reconize the G3 transducer, then you can maintain the original HW capability.

If not, then you get just a standard 2D.

Is my thinking correct or does this also affect the SI portion with chirp?

MMmmm

Seems to be an interesting conumdrum.

I guess the next step would be to see if someone can get a XM9 HW MSI T (G3) transducer and connect it to one of these "special" units to see if it reconizes the transducer.

If it does reconize the G3 transducer, then you can maintain the original HW capability.

If not, then you get just a standard 2D.

Is my thinking correct or does this also affect the SI portion with chirp?

Helix units do not "recognize" transducers. The transducer and unit don't have a ID feature like the SOLIX. You have to manually match the unit and transducer.

To get 83/200 kHz and MEGA Imaging with the older G2N SI transducer you have to change the Connected Transducer setting to MEGA Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

OK guys I just got off the phone with Humminbird and was given a little different info than Wayne was given it sounds like. First off, I can't imagine that Humminbird would make a unit that you couldn't get a part for in the future. The lady I spoke to assured me that if my transducer broke for whatever reason, that I would be able to get a replacement if needed. The guy Wayne spoke to said that wouldn't be possible. I will say that I think Wayne is a much better source of info than the lady I spoke with!! She also made it sound like the old G2N Mega transducer would not work due to the software on the unit. I am planning on taking mine to the lake this weekend so I guess I'll let you guys know how it works!
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Thanks Wayne P

Pardon my ignorance on the units as I am coming from a 998HD, many generations ago.
    Not many transducer selections back then.LOL

Have not fired up the unit yet but was trying to understand the differece between xdcr menu selections as posted by tiffytilly and loganmartincat?

If one was to connect a XM9 HW MSI T(G3) to this model Helix unit, would the menu show " default Connected xdcr XM9 HW MSI T"?

Thanks Wayne P

Pardon my ignorance on the units as I am coming from a 998HD, many generations ago.
    Not many transducer selections back then.LOL

Have not fired up the unit yet but was trying to understand the differece between xdcr menu selections as posted by tiffytilly and loganmartincat?

If one was to connect a XM9 HW MSI T(G3) to this model Helix unit, would the menu show " default Connected xdcr XM9 HW MSI T"?
    The Connected Transducer settings are what the transducers do, not the model of it.

Units have the Connected Transducer default setting for the transducer that is in the box when you get it. If you connect a different one, the unit would not "know it".

The G3N MEGA SI+ Connected Transducer setting is HW+MEGA SI. It's the first one in the choice list. The second choice is MEGA Imaging, that is the transducer that comes with the 2017/2018 G2N Helix CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N models.
    G3N SI+ units have 19 choices in that list.

The 2019 G2N SI units come with a different transducer and its default setting would be what that transducer does. H1012 HW MSI

Your 998c HD SI Combo has several transducer selections also, just not as many. You can make that unit a 2D-only model by changing the setting to 83/200 kHz. Default is High Def Side Scan. Second choice is Compact Side Scan--if you choose that, you loose 800 kHz Imaging and it would match the XNT 9 SI 180 T Compact Side Imaging transducer that the 300, 500, 600, and 700 series SI units come with.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Wayne

Thanks for your time and patience and clarity in your replies to questions.

Slooowly beginning to understand.Lol

Will fire the unit up this weekend and familiarize myself with the system.

13. Member
    It's good that we're not all sitting home alone trying to figure this out. Thanks everybody.

14. Member
    From other sources it sounds like if this new transducer fails, we should be able to replace with a 2017/2018 G2 transducer?

Quote Originally Posted by memps026 View Post
    From other sources it sounds like if this new transducer fails, we should be able to replace with a 2017/2018 G2 transducer?
    Yes IF you change the Connected Transducer setting to match it.
    Post #45 above has the choices listed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    By then we'll be addicted to the low-Q 2D and will have to replace it with a Gen 3 xducer!

17. Member
    For what it’s worth !!!
    Spoke with HB and was emphatically assured the following.

The xdcr in question:::: XM 9 H1012 HW MSI G2N is a stocked item and will be available as a warranty replacement or purchase if out of warranty. Only catch here , must purchase directly from HB will not be a vendor item.

The original Gen2 Mega xdcr HM9 20 MSI T will work with this unit. Helix10 HW MSI GPS G2N BUT you will give up HW - Low Q

THIS XDCR XM9 H1012 HW MSI G2N will only work with this unit Helix10 HW MSI GPS G2N. Can’t buy this xdcr and connect to original Gen2 unit in attempt to upgrade.

18. Member
    I'm wondering what the rationale for this model or transducer was. Model and transducer weren't advertised as different/better and it required them to manufacture or modify a transducer. Seems like a lot of shenanigans for what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I'm wondering what the rationale for this model or transducer was. Model and transducer weren't advertised as different/better and it required them to manufacture or modify a transducer. Seems like a lot of shenanigans for what reason?
    HW CHIRP promotion unit at a lower cost than either the discontinued G2N or the G3N.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 12-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    maybe to get around the issue that there may be a lot of g2n’s out there still in the channel and this doesn’t technically cause a price conflict as it is a “special run” product.

in terms of transducer replacement if I need one I wonder how much it would cost if not within warranty. Guess it won’t be worst thing in world to revert back to normal g2n transducer depending on how stunning the low q is. Don’t find myself using 2d all that much anyways.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast