Banned

Weed Chopper trolling motor helper

Saw a video on this and became interested. I go to Florida for 3 months every winter and fish primarily the Kissimmee Chain, As some of you know, you can just about walk across parts of Toho on the hydrilla . Its very frustrating to try to run a trolling motor around this stuff. The concept of this "weed chopper" is compelling and I'd give it a shot if I could find one to buy. Every site I've been to on the internet shows the item "not available at this time" and a statement that it's not know whether the item will ever be available in the future.Does anyone have any info or experience with the "weed chopper" attachment for trolling motors?I can only imagine that there is some potential safety hazard associated with the guillotine blade that is at the core of its effectiveness that took it off the market.While on the subject, what suggestion might you offer to deal with operating your trolling motor in heavy weeds like hydrilla?Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I saw those videos. I took 4 carpet blades and a band clamp and made my own. I tack welded the blades to the band clamp. It worked great and made it free from stuff I already had. Yep, it is dangerous. Give it a try, only cost a few bucks to make one, if you don’t like it just throw it away.

3. Member
    I have not seen the item you are talking about but I would not be too concerned about it. At the rate the FWC is spraying there will not be any grass left too worry about. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I also made my own from a piece of light gauge ss, using a dremel with cut off wheel to make the cutting teeth.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    I have not seen the item you are talking about but I would not be too concerned about it. At the rate the FWC is spraying there will not be any grass left too worry about. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    I keep hearing about all the random spraying and fears of all grass being killed off but I go to Lake Toho every winter for about 8 years now and all I've seen is more and more hydrilla every year. Last year it looked like islands all over the lake. Wish they could get rid of some of it but certainly not all. I see no evidence of the spraying being very effective in Toho as of January 2019. Maybe different in 2020

Get a Kipawa Prop and raise your TM to where it's only a foot below the water.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kipawa+pr...l_71j4ofi8nt_e
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    First time I've ever seen/heard of these Kipawa props...reviews by current users??

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova