Crossbow advice for the wife

My wife has never been into archery hunting, but we’re talking about taking some trips during archery-only seasons. In all cases crossbows are legal for hunting, as they are in our state. So I’m thinking about getting the wife a crossbow to shorten the learning curve for her. I think given our schedules this may be the only way to get her archery hunting. I don’t know a thing about crossbows. I’ve heard about some hassle people have had with unloading a crossbow, and I believe I saw somewhere it’s possible to get some that have a de-cocking function, so if anyone has experience with this topic I would love to hear about it. There’s a good archery shop locally who can help us, but I’m curious what the hive mind here thinks I should know when shopping for one for the wife. Any particular brands to look for, things to get/avoid, likes/dislikes, etc. thanks in advance

Me and my son who is 14 both have crossbows and have had great success with them. We don’t have the decocking models but do shoot a bolt into a target when getting home. The one thing to get for sure if its not built into your crossbow are cocking strings they make life easier without a doubt. A regular scope or reddot scope is very helpful for your wife there are really good models out there to choose from depending on how much you want to spend and some will be accurate out to 40 yards or more.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    My wife has never been into archery hunting, but we’re talking about taking some trips during archery-only seasons. In all cases crossbows are legal for hunting, as they are in our state. So I’m thinking about getting the wife a crossbow to shorten the learning curve for her. I think given our schedules this may be the only way to get her archery hunting. I don’t know a thing about crossbows. I’ve heard about some hassle people have had with unloading a crossbow, and I believe I saw somewhere it’s possible to get some that have a de-cocking function, so if anyone has experience with this topic I would love to hear about it. There’s a good archery shop locally who can help us, but I’m curious what the hive mind here thinks I should know when shopping for one for the wife. Any particular brands to look for, things to get/avoid, likes/dislikes, etc. thanks in advance
    Due to shoulder pain, I have a crossbow with a cocking winch. You can use it to decock the bow also.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

4. Member
    I just take a small pillow target with me when I go hunting. If I don't take a shot I change the bolt out to a field point and shoot it into the target at the vehicle. In some states it is illegal to have a field point in the field while hunting. Trying to unload the bow after it is strung is an accident waiting to happen.
    I teach Hunter Safety. I tell the class that if your fingers are in front of the string when it is shot your fingers will be either severely damaged or torn off. Most modern crossbows have safety devices to keep your hands away from the string when preparing to shoot.
    SAFETY FIRST!!! Arrows or bolts are cheap. Fingers aren't.
    If you are looking for the best 10 Point crossbows are right up there at the top. Try to find a nice used one.

5. Member
    What he said about safety!
    ive got a couple, the 10 point fx4 with crank is sweet, decent price, and good shooter. No decock, have to shoot it.
    also have a ravin r15 with crank. Fast, compact, shoots hard. Has ability to decock. Not as accurate in my hands as the 10point.
    Both easy to use. My 14 yo daughter can easily handle either loading or unloading, safely.
    2019 Ranger rt188c
    115 pro xs ct
    Ulterra 24v ipilot link
    bird helix 9 gen2 mega console
    bird helix 10 gen3 mega bow
    spyderlok r100 rod holders
    spyderlok r300 transport

6. Member
    Thanks all. Im still following this so any feedback is helpful.

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Crossbows are a lot of fun. I own a lower end barnett Recruit that I have taken 1 deer with. Shoots 300 FPS and is super light and compact. I believe the model was made for youth and females. I bought it for my daughter but ended up putting my compound up on a few occasions and bringing the crossbow with me this year on a few hunts. A lot of higher end crossbows can be lethal at 50 plus yards with ease. The furthest shot id take with the recruit would be around 40 and it would have to be a perfect scenario. Ours does not have the cranking device but is not hard to cock. As far as decocking I bought a decocking bolt. Super simple to operate, and safe. Just keep the strings lubed up. I did upgrade to a actual scope and ditched the red dot it came with.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

8. mikesxpress
    Dave I sold off all my compound bow stuff years ago and went to the crossbow. I have experience with the Barnett Predator that began many years ago and have been shooting a Barnett Ghost 410 for the past 5 years which is much lighter. I only shoot Lumen-Arrow 100% Carbon Bolts.

The crossbows that can be hand de-cocked are of nominal poundage and normally less than 310 FPS. Adequate to kill a deer at close ranges and easy to change the string yourself.
    The crossbows with compound limbs (375 FPS and up) require a bow press to change string/cables (Bass Pro $15.00 and 10 minutes) and you use a cocking rope or crank. The bow must be shot to discharge it. I carry a small discharge target and a target tipped bolt for this. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mor...scharge-target This little bag stops the 410 FPS bolt.
    I back off 20 yards and discharge it on my non-dominate side and consider it off hand practice. I have no issue with killing a calm deer up to 50 yards out with the Ghost 410. They will hear the bow and you will need to aim low at that range. Inside 35 yards, the bolt is thru them before they hear anything.

The best crossbow scope I have found is the : https://us.hawkeoptics.com/xb30-compact-2-8x36-sr.html
    Once the speed of the bow is set on the scope, and then sighted in at the 20 yard stadium line, the other range lines are very accurate out to 60 yards. The reticle is lit and I use mine at the lowest red setting during twilight hours. IMO this gives you 15 minutes additional shooting time during prime time hours.

Once setup and sighted in, a new comer to the crossbow is ready to hunt.