Thread: Caracal or Lynx

Caracal or Lynx

I currently own a Z521C and plan on replacing it soon with a Caracal or Lynx. I had the opportunity to drive a Caracal this week. The winds were blowing around 12 mph on big body of water. When driving into the wind the Caracal rode much rougher than my Ranger. I may have not had the trim or jack plate at the optimum settings. When running with the wind between 40 and 50 mph the boat required constant steering correction. I might have been expecting too much from a boat that is 2 ft shorter than my Z521C. It was a handful to drive and required constant steering correction. It felt like the direction of the bow was affected by the waves. Again I may have not had the trim or jack plate at the optimum settings. The Caracal had a G2. If a Caracal is set up properly (prop, trim, jack plate) should I expect that the boat will track perfectly and not require much steering correction at 40 mph? The fit, finish, and gloss was exceptional. I really like the layout of the Caracal more so than the Lynx. I spent some time on the trolling motor and felt very comfortable with the forward position of the trolling motor. I will be checking out a Lynx soon on the water,

2. Member
    They are a different boat to drive and once used to it it performs exceptionally well for a less than 20’ boat. It’s not like a 21’ ranger (which is a good boat) that you can point aim trim up and go. Spend some more time in the caracal if you can and I think you will grow to like it more. The lynx is an awesome rig too. 21’ class boat I believe they call it but designed for the bigger water. Good luck with your experience.

a much better comparison to your Z boat would be the Lynx
    BCB are a little different to drive, they just drive different once you figure that out they are an awesome boat.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've had my Caracal for almost 4 years. I've never noticed any difficulty in keeping it tracking where I wanted it. To me it drives quite a bit like the CougarFTD that I traded in, just not as fast.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

5. Member
    John S - PM me if you are still on the fence. I did the same investigations that you are doing now and landed in the Lynx (from a 520C). Too much to put in tis message on Monday morning but will gladly share my thoughts and finds.
    BCB Lynx
    Mercury 250 ProXs 4-Stroke

6. Member
    I myself went from a 520C to the Lynx after 2 rangers. Two completely different boats with the Cat getting the upperhand with quality and buildmanship. Besides the Cat is just a badazz boat period. Choose a Cat and welcome to the cult

7. Member
    All, still trying to decide which way to go. With the Ranger Cup packages on the Z520L/Z521L the cost difference with poles is around $4000 Less than a comparably equipped Lynx. I do think the Ranger boats are better looking. I had a Lynx demo ride last week. The driver showed me how well the Lynx steers. I drove the boat and it drove well. The winds were light. The hole shot with a Mercury 250 2 stroke was slow compared to my Ranger Z521C SHO. I really wanted to go with Caracal but didn’t care for the ride or it’s handling. It seemed to plow and hit waves 1 ft waves hard all of which could be blamed on me not knowing the best jack plate and trim settings. I my leaning towards the Bass Cat because I’m convinced that it is a very well built boat with top materials. One thing I really like about the Rangers are they are point and shoot and not as sensitive to jack plate and trim settings.

8. Member
    I can’t speak to the pricing of the boats you’re comparing but I will guarantee that top end performance is as much as 5-7+ mph in the lynx compared to a Ranger. I’ve driven a 521 several times over the past couple of years and it struggles to make 66 mph regardless of the driver input. If you target 66 mph in a lynx it will likely be a point and shoot drive as well. You can’t compare a caracal is it is 2 feet shorter. However biased I am but I’d take a caracal at 72 mph over a Ranger at high 60s max. Lastly any bass cat hull is going to be drier than any comparable Ranger hull. Good luck making your decision!