Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stuck on fast idle and running rough

2016 300XS 1.62 sporty serial # 1E053059 Motor just started getting stuck in fast idle when you start it, also it running rough, noticed today when I tried to fire it up in the garage that some black stuff came out. Also has some black oily looking stuff in the bottom of the lower unit behind the prop, please help, thanks Todd

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Todd:

How full is your REMOTE OIL TANK? Very important question!

Also, check to make sure the throttle arm is being returned fully against the idle stop (inside the cowling), and inspect for any obvious FUEL LEAKS inside the cowling (both before starting, and while running).

Suspect you have unmetered/unintended fuel or oil getting into the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    If your talking about the oil tank on the motor, it's full, always try to keep the main oil tank at least half full, you may be correct on the oil, my 2005 250XS did use near as much oil as my 2016 300XS, I'm using Mercury Racing Oil in this one, used Premium Plus in the 2005, haven't noticed any fuel or oil leaks, very clean under the cowling, I'll check he throttle arm, tried to crank it over last night, didn't want to start, just kept coughing, please help, thanks Todd

4. Member
    Don, just went and checked, throttle arm is fully returned, but there is Engine oil in the throttle body, opened the butterfly and you can see oil

5. Member
    Oil in the plenum is normal. What is'nt normal is for oil to siphon from the Reserve Reservoir on the motor, which leads to excessive oil in the motor.

6. Member
    What would cause too much Fuel or oil getting into the engine? Just changed Spark plugs, need to do the rest of the 100 Hr service

7. Member
    Could it be the throttle positioning sensor?

I think it would be in your best intrest to have a dealer take look at this, a scanner can give you a wealth of infomation very quickly and get on the right path, guessing can get costly very fast. Would you take this approach on 2016 Mustang with a Coyote motor, or would you be going to the dealer?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    I have a mechanic that could work on the Mustang, but thanks for the advice, problem is
    I don't have time to take it to my regular guy, I work too much and he leaves before I get off work

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    What would cause too much Fuel or oil getting into the engine? Just changed Spark plugs, need to do the rest of the 100 Hr service... Could it be the throttle positioning sensor?
    Anything that allows fuel or oil to enter the engine unmetered, including (but not necessarily limited to):

-Air Leaks in the Air System
    -Fuel Injector Lower O-Rings
    -Direct Injector O-Rings
    -Leaking fuel or direct injector
    -Tracker Valve Diaphragm
    -Fuel Pressure Regulator Diaphragm
    -Air Pressure Regulator
    -Pulse Fuel Pump Diaphragms
    -Water in Fuel Sensor Leaking
    -Oil Level too full in Remote Tank
    -Crankcase Pressure Check Valve
    -Faulty Check Valves in Oil Injection System

The TPS is unlikely as the PCM "learns" the idle position from that sensor at keyup and Startup. If it were outside of the acceptable range (either because of being faulty OR someone applying throttle) it would set a fault.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    The fuel pump and pulse pump were supposed to be changed under warranty, along with the compressor, would any that you listed above show as a fault on the Smartcraft gauge?, it hasn't shown a fault yet, checked the motor Saturday, found no fuel or air leaks, but as soon as you turn the motor off, you can smell fuel for a second or two, but not after that

12. Member
    Remote tank is not too full

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    None of those items are electronically monitored, so no, there is no specific fault for any of the items listed in Post# 10.

Items that might have been replaced in 2017 are not "automatically immune" from failure.

14. Member
    going to pull the Tracker Valve, will let you know

15. Member
    Tracker Value is bad, replacing, hopeit solves the problem

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the old one was torn, then it should definitely help. Keep in mind plugs tend to foul pretty heavily when there is a rich condition like that.

17. Member
    Just changed the plugs, Tracker valve was bad, replaced it, now have to replace the diagram service on the passenger side, couldn't get it to go back in properly

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully you have the installer tool (otherwise there is a high probability you will damage the diaphragm).

Any diaphragms or replaced components in the Regulators (PORT RAIL) require that air and fuel pressures be checked with a certified accurate device (preferably a high-speed USB transducer).

19. Member
    Replaced Tracker valve and regulator valeve, runs great now, port side one is a Big pain, made a tool to make install easier, will have the pressure checked, thanks for all you held Don, your the best!!, probably could have just changed the Tracker valve, but have two new ones in now

20. Member
    Ran boat today while fishing, boat ran and idled just fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast